Types of fanfics

This is more of an analysis than a rant. It certainly isn't a "this problem is the worst thing ever, feel my wrath!" kind of chapter.

One thing that really separates the warriors fanfiction community from other fanfic communities is that we don't have a lot of 'canon' stories, at least not many on Wattpad. What I mean by that is we don't write many fanfictions set in the canon world with canon characters. And that strikes me as odd because with Warriors, there's so many opportunities for au's.

Let's compare to the Harry Potter fandom. I'm not active in this community on here but I read the fanfictions when I have time. Alternatively, the HP fandom solely uses canon characters, or ocs inserted into the canon world. They don't have any fics like ours, where the characters are all ocs and none are canon, with FanClans and the like. And honestly, it really bothers me.

The thing is, Warriors is a huge series, with multiple generations of characters, with a vast number of plotlines. There are so many opportunities for au's! How about a fanfiction where Firestar is accepted into ShadowClan instead of ThunderClan? Or if Jake brought Firestar into WindClan to Tallstar so that Firestar could live the life he couldn't? Firestar would grow up with Onestar as a friend instead of Graystripe. If he was in ShadowClan, what role would he play in Brokenstar's tyranny? What about if Hollyleaf had never died and was actually part of the Three? Or if Cinderpelt never had her accident? What about if Mudclaw became leader of WindClan? If Scourge joined ThunderClan when Thistleclaw encountered him. How about if Snowkit survived, or Tigerstar's siblings? What about a fic where Feathertail survived and chose to live in the Tribe of Rushing Water? You could even be scandalous and have a *whispers* oc and canon character couple. I don't get why they're considered so horrible. They're not inherently badly written, and let's stop enabling cringe culture by tiptoeing around everything remotely "cringy." You could write an oc with Alderheart, Jayfeather, Tawnypelt, Ivypool, Leafstar, Hawkfrost, Darktail, Ravenpaw, any character! Or you could just include your oc into the story. Obviously ocs in canon stories come with their own issues but generally, these stories can be amazing. Just take a look at those HP fics! There's so many oc/canon pairings and so many of them work really well.

I can understand why people are scared to write these fics. Writing canon characters can be daunting! I have a chapter here about writing canon characters out of character and how I was too scared to write a fic with canon characters. Well guess what? I challenged myself and I'm currently writing Eyesore, my Power of Three au fic! I write the characters the way I interpret them, allowing them to grow in a way canon didn't support, but still keeping their core traits intact and their character as accurate as I can.

Alternatively, I'd love to see Harry Potter fanfics with no canon characters at all. Full of ocs, set in the same world, the way we do. In my opinion, the worldbuilding was one of the best parts of the Harry Potter books. So I'd love to see more of the world explored. (I'd like to write a fic like this myself sometime.) The world of werewolves, what it's like at a different wizarding school like Durmstrang or something completely made up, even just set at Hogwarts. There's so many opportunities that aren't being taken! It makes me so mad! And hey, maybe these do exist and I'm just not looking hard enough. Maybe they exist on a different site, I don't know.

I just find it interesting how two fandoms on the same site write such different fanfics and so frustrating how there isn't more of a mix because both sides have some amazing creative opportunities that I'd love to see taken advantage of. Both sides would really benefit!

It would be interesting to see a new range of fics in this fandom, though I don't know what else we could introduce. Maybe humanised warriors fanfics? I don't know if it's just me but I'm a sucker for those. It would just be cool to see us extend on our fanfiction and exercise our creativity. Like short stories! I know I just complained about them but they're something entirely unique to this fandom, this community, and that's fucking cool.

I'd love to see some more Warriors aus written here. I've seen some good ones though! Tumblr also has a lot of au fics up on there.

Anyway I'm not sure what this chapter is and it's not at all edited but I'm publishing anyway because I'm a Lazy Bitch. It's a bit all over the place but hey. Sometimes it's good to have less "professional" or "composed" chapters!