Short Stories

Ah, one-sentence-per-chapter stories, often referred to as short stories. An interesting format of writing originally by @//Warriorzlove,and then immediately latched onto by the fandom.

There is nothing wrong with short stories. The format is interesting, and original. They're fun to write too!

The problem is that they're dreadfully overused. People saw it, they liked it, they used it. And then they overused it. If it were used in moderation - one per person at the most - then it would be okay. It's fine to write one of these, but writing more than say, two, would not be a good idea. They get tiresome eventually.

Some people say it takes less work than lengthy fics, and I'd agree. They're most certainly short, and don't take as much writing, outlining, etc. However they do take a lot of work, and saying that they're really simple is quite rude (especially to the creator) and shouldn't be used to invalidate anyone.

The main issue is that they're all the same. This fandom went through a phase of cannibalism, murder, pedophilia, and all dark things under the sun. Those topics are okay, but once every book is about them, it gets tiring. While there's death and murder in warriors constantly, these types of murders are all carefully planned, not battle-murder.

The only problem is that it's overused, and replacing the longer fics. I think we should try to have a better balance, and even try to think of a different and new format of writing. One interesting one I've seen is @chronalilly's Where The River Bends, which is a wonderful book where each chapter is set in a different p.o.v. No repeats. Now don't copy it, this is just an example. Oddly enough, I thought of doing this format once as well, but wrote it off as too confusing. But Chrona pulls it off !

So they to limit yourself to the number of short stories that you write, and try to make them original and unique. Even better - think of a new format. Just don't add to the masses of overused ones already.