Writing Styles

I love writing styles. They're all so unique and different, and you can tell the writer from their writing style. However, there are two things regarding writing style that frustrate me within this fandom, so...here we go!

One issue is when people just directly copy the Erin's style without having even a bit of their own original style. This is just annoying because they're all the same, and they all blur into one after a while. It's dull and uninteresting. The thing I get complicated on most is my style. It's because it's unique! It doesn't feel like everything you've ever read before. (I hope!) If you directly copy an author, you'll never improve! Take your favourite bits and pieces from different authors, and your style will develop! Take some tips from art - work on little things, one at a time. It's fair enough that things sound similar to the Erin's style, since we're all influenced by them.

Another rising issue is the use of fancy and big words. People use these and call it a style. It isn't. This is the equivalent of drawing something out of perspective (for example, a wolf facing forward with a sideways muzzle) and then instead of fixing it, the artist claims it's their style. There's a difference between art style and incorrect perspective.
Now, as for writing, big/fancy words are all fun and games. If you want to write like this, you can! I've used fancy words before, and I like to think I was among those who started the trend lol. But fancy words aren't a replacement for style. That's vocab use. Style covers the way you write, all of the aspects inside your work. Not just the words you choose to use.

Now, this leads us to the big topic. It's here, motherfuckers. The big one. The bad boy.
Functionality.
How functional is your writing style? What I mean by that is, if you were to publish a full length book, would you be able to sustain it. Would your style work with writing proper novels?

See, a writing style can be nice to read, but simply not work in an actual book. For example, my writing style is nice to read. I don't mean that to sound egotistical, that's just what I've been told. But in an actual book, it wouldn't work. I rely all too heavily on poetic metaphors rather than all aspects of my writing. So I'm working on it!
This is where big words come in. Yes, they're nice. No, readers don't want to google a word every ten seconds.
Hell, even in fanfiction, no one wants to do this. For example, a writer who writes very heavily on dialogue might seem interesting in fanfiction. It's distinctive and interesting! But would you want to read a book where there are very few physical descriptions? A book where the vocabulary is limited? Of course not.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but there's a lot of nonfunctional writing styles that I see here, or styles that are just plain boring. The good thing is  styles are easy to change and fix. Don't focus on publishing now. Focus in making your writing fucking fantastic.
(Even if you just write for fun, improving your style is still worthwhile!)
Remember, I am not god. If you don't agree with anything I say in this book, that's totally okay! These are just my opinions and advice. I'm not the most experienced writer by any means.

Happy writing :)