"Everything is wrong and I'm the only one who knows"

This trope makes me so fucking pissed off.

It's ridiculously common in young adult novels, dystopia in particular.

There's always some terrible situation. Being forced into live as an assassination, having society govern your choices, etc. All the citizens are unaware that the situation is bad, but our amazing protagonist always understands that the situation is wrong, and fights for it.

Basically, the protagonist is the special one who can save the day.

I don't know if any of you have ever read Matched or Delirium (I didn't finish either of the series) but these books are one of the only books I know of that haven't used this trope.

In Matched, all choices are made by the society. However, the main character (Cassia ?) doesn't initially realise how wrong the situation is, and it takes meeting Ky for her to understand.

Another example is Lena from Delirium. Her life is also dictated by society, and love is a disease. Lena doesn't think anything is wrong. Her friend, Hanna is the one who finds it wrong. Lena later understands with the help of both Hannah and Alex.

The point is, they are not the ones who understand it. This is Mary-Sue like behaviour.

Now, generally the protagonist needs to understand that everything is wrong eventually - otherwise the story is usually quite boring. It's when they always know, right from the start/very early on, and they're a perfect little hero.

Let's look at Tris from Divergent. Now in Allegiant, I absolutely hated her. When Tobias trusted that girl who ended up bombing the place, (I forgot her name) Tris knew right from the start that aforementioned girl was untrustworthy. She was a complete Mary Sue in this right, because this girl had given Tris no reason to distrust her, and everyone else trusted her.

Now, steering away from these examples and onto fanfiction.

It's ridiculously annoying ! I'm currently reading an amazing book, however the character has a specific rank, and she is the first to realise that the system is wrong.

The book is great, but... no. This shouldn't happen. Your character shouldn't be the first, it's ridiculous. There is absolutely no need to make your character even more special. How about making her the first, but not the last - make her fail! Or make her the last but not the first. Her neither!

This is a strange one but it really irks me.

It just feels very Mary Sue-ish.

The problem also lies in the lack of development. This has a lot to do with internal character development and pacing of the book.

Bare in mind that the book I'm reading does nor focus as much in development as it should - though the author seems to believe that they're developing their character right.
(If you know which fic I'm referencing, do not state it !! It is actually pretty good, and has some great concepts.)

Their pacing is also far too fast, so that effects it.

Among all this rambling, the main point is, don't do that trope. It's overused, and very boring.