Main Character Always Becomes Leader

Can you hear that? That's the sound of me screaming in annoyance.

It seems that so many fics main character becomes leader. It's so fucking common.

The second that the main character becomes deputy, I know what will happen. It's just so obvious and overused!

People do this because they want their character to be all powerful. I mean, really? It happened in the first arc, so now everyone has to do it.

This frustrates many readers, because it's so overused. I can guarantee that we've all read at least two of these books! It's also so damn predictable. We don't want to know exactly what's going to happen. We want to have plot twists and surprises that will really get us into the story.

What happens when you want your cat to be leader? Perhaps start off with your cat as deputy, so we don't have to go through the whole
"Wow! My leader chose me as deputy!! I never saw it coming, imagine being actually leader!!1!" Seriously kids. If you really want to have your cat as a leader, make it different from the common story.

Leaders aren't always the best thing to go to, if you want your cat to have a position of power. A medicine cat has the arguably the most power. A deputy who doesn't become leader makes a nice change, still with power. Even a well respected warrior has power, even if it isn't as defined. Think about how everyone respected Whitestorm, and the way they valued his opinion, and regarded him almost as highly as Bluestar.

Or, even better, your cat could just be an average warrior. Everyone has some sort of power. Over yourself. And you also have some sort of power "over" your friends - they should care about you and your opinion enough to regard it highly.

Or, one thing you could do, is have your cat already leader.

This is pretty short, because it's fairly straightforward. The idea is overused and boring, try stay away from it. Please and thank you.