Chapter 30

I felt a peck on my foot repeatedly. Slowly looking down, I saw a bird. I jumped to my feet, scanning my surroundings. I was in the woods, with gravel and branches in my hair. A wince of pain shot through my hip, and upon pulling up my shirt, I discovered a large scratch on the side, dried blood marking the injury.

"Damn it!" I cursed under my breath, disoriented and unsure of my location. Checking my pockets for my phone, I cursed internally when I couldn't feel it. Frantically, I started scrambling around on the forest floor, moving dead leaves and dirt, hoping my phone had just fallen out unnoticed, but it wasn't there.

——

Stiles POV

Stella had been missing for two days, and despite our efforts to find her, she remained elusive. The last time we saw her, she had chased after the beast into the woods, leaving us anxious and fearing the worst. Liam and Malia were searching the woods, while Scott and I anxiously waited at her place, hoping for her safe return.

Pacing back and forth, my mind raced through different scenarios, trying to avoid dwelling on the worst possibilities and resisting the demons of fear that threatened to consume me.

"Scott, maybe you could try roaring again. Perhaps she'll respond this time?" I suggested, even though he had attempted it five times already, with no success.

Scott sighed and came over to me, placing his arm around my shoulders. "Stiles, she's fine. You know how Stella is," he reassured me with a small smile.

"That's the problem. It's Stella. She takes risks without caring if she gets hurt, and it's so frustrating. Scott, I always imagine the worst when she's out there. Just because she has werewolf powers doesn't mean she's immune to danger," I sighed, putting my head in my hands.

We heard the front door creak open, and my heart raced. I looked up in relief to see Stella's dark brown hair and her distinctive dark yet light brown eyes. She appeared disheveled, with stains and rips in her shirt.

"Stella," Scott sighed, giving her a warm smile. She looked up at us, tears streaming down her cheeks. She ran up to Scott, embracing him in a hug, then turned to me. A big smile spread across her face as I opened my arms for her. She stepped into the embrace, and I held onto her tightly, not wanting to let her go. When she pulled away, she took a step back.

"Scott... Stiles," she attempted to say something, but no words came out. It was as if she was trying to piece together what had happened to her, but the details eluded her.

 It was as if she was trying to piece together what had happened to her, but the details eluded her

"Hey, it's okay. You don't have to explain right now. You're safe, and that's all that matters. Go ahead and clean yourself up. I'll call Deaton," I told her. She nodded, walking past us and into her room, closing the door behind her.

Scott quickly turned to me. "She looked very confused and lost, like she didn't know why she was out there."

"I'm going to go get Deaton," I said to Scott.