Chapter 5

The following day, we visited the Sheriff's office to share what information we had.

"So, the Walcotts were the first... at least, the first we know about. Four murders—Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin known as the Mute, wielding a military tomahawk. However, the Mute met his demise at the hands of Peter Hale after attempting to detonate a claymore mine aimed at Derek. Following that was Demarco. He delivered a keg to the party at Lydia's lake house... and was found decapitated outside his car. And then, last night, twenty-three-year-old Carrie Hudson..." Stiles informed his dad.

"It's a dead pool. A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only a portion of it. The rest still needs to be decoded," Stiles explained to his father.

"Who discovered this list?" he inquired.

"Lydia," I replied.

"How?" he asked me.

"She wrote it. Actually, she transcribed it unknowingly," I explained. "It was a long process just to extract one name."

"Banshee?" he checked for confirmation among the supernatural names.

"Banshee," I confirmed with a nod.

"Okay. What about these numbers next to the names?" The Sheriff squinted, puzzled, looking down at the list.

"We're getting to that. But first, you should know that the code was broken using a cipher key," Stiles clarified.

"Like a key word?" the Sheriff sought further understanding.

"It's actually a name," Scott interjected.

"Allison," I murmured, leading to a moment of silence.

"Her name unlocked a third of the list," Stiles pointed to the list in his father's hands.

"Now, we suspect there are two other cipher keys," Scott added.

"Which will reveal the rest of the names. Alright. So, how do we obtain these cipher keys?" the Sheriff asked us.

"The same way we deciphered the code," Stiles replied.

"Lydia. She's been at the lake house all weekend trying to uncover the other two key words," Scott informed him.

"Yeah, it was like sitting in a room in complete silence with a girl just staring at a spinning record," I recalled, reminiscing about Kira, Malia, and myself in the room with Lydia.

"The sooner we decode the list, the better, because we're uncertain if Stella, Liam, or Malia are on it," Scott stressed to the Sheriff.

****

We went to school just like any other day. I found myself in class with none other than Coach, who happens to be my favorite teacher. Additionally, I had the class with Scott and Stiles.

"Economic disparity exists in all forms. Let's consider sports, for instance. Some teams boast better training facilities and equipment. Unlike Beacon Hills, which can barely afford the duct tape to keep our equipment together," Coach began his usual rant. It was a common occurrence; we rarely learned anything substantial. He abruptly halted in front of Stiles' desk, and I glanced down to see that he had the pictures taken at the crime scene.

"Here we go," I sighed quietly under my breath. Scott turned around, shooting me an amused smile, already anticipating Coach's imminent outburst.

 Scott turned around, shooting me an amused smile, already anticipating Coach's imminent outburst