Chapter 28

It was finally the day Stiles and Scott put everything together to save Lydia. Scott texted the group chat to meet at his house, and the plan was set—all we had to do was act it out.

"There are four steps. We get into Eichen, we get into the Closed Unit, we get Lydia, and get out," Stiles explained to us. It sounded pretty easy until Scott added, "And we have to do all of this while getting past orderlies, guards, electric door locks, and a Mountain Ash barrier."

"You have a plan for all of that?" Malia asked them.

"I stole this last night off an orderly. But it's useless 'cause they reset the codes each night," Stiles said, pulling the keycard out of his pocket.

"So why did you take it?" I asked him.

"I'm getting to that. The only way to get Lydia out of Eichen is to make that keycard work again," he continued.

"How are you going to do that?" Liam asked.

"We're getting to that," Stiles sighed, then turned his laptop around for us to see. "Okay, just listen. I pulled all the history off the keycard. Two weeks ago, there was a brownout, and the security system rebooted. During a reboot, all of the key cards revert back to a default code. So, if we trigger a reboot... The card goes back to the default code. It works again."

"How are we going to cause a brownout?" Kira asked.

"That's your part. You're going to draw power from the main line. But only enough to cause the brownout. Not a blackout," Scott informed her.

"Do that, and you send Eichen into lockdown, which would be bad. Very, very bad," Stiles emphasized the last part.

"There's an electrical room behind the reception counter. The main power line goes into two breakers that run power to all of Eichen," Scott explained.

"Okay, slight problem. I don't know how to do that," Kira started worrying.

"That's okay. You have time to practice," Scott assured her.

"Let's say all this goes perfectly. How does a brownout get us into the Closed Unit of Eichen?" Malia asked.

"The system takes five minutes to reboot. In that five minutes, all the alarms will be turned off, and the keycard should work," Stiles said.

"Liam and Stella get Stiles to the gate of the Closed Unit. I will be close behind, checking the areas for people coming. But after that, he has to go on his own. We can't get past the Mountain Ash barrier," Scott said. Honestly, I didn't want to work with Liam; I don't trust him anymore since he turned on Scott without thinking.

"And when we're gone, all anyone's going to think is that there was a reboot of the security system caused by a brownout. Uh, any questions?" Stiles asked, closing his laptop.

All of them started asking questions at once, and Stiles and Scott looked overwhelmed. "Shut up!" I sighed. "Everything could go wrong. Guys, if we don't do this, we lose Lydia. She's going to die in there tonight. And she might take a lot of innocent people with her." They didn't say anything; we were finally on the same page. Stiles looked over at me with a small smile, mouthing 'Thanks'.

Since Kira was so worried about causing a brownout, I decided to help her with the time we had left. I asked her to meet me at the school in room D203, which was the chemistry room.

"What?" Kira asked, and I didn't realize I was staring at her, waiting for something to happen.

"Do it. Do your thing," I said, pushing the light bulb a little closer to her. We were at this for about 20 minutes.