Memories

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this book!
*Update* This chapter has been fixed. 11.28.15

I run through the Rukon district in a daze. Smoke was everywhere, I could barely see my hands in front of me, let alone the ground. The air was filled with the stench of burning corpses, sicking me. I blindly found my way back to the remains of what was once my brother and I's house. There was a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach but I brushed it off, thinking it was probably the smell of the dead burning.

I frantically searched for any signs of my brother, hoping he had gotten out of the house before it collapsed. I dug through the remains, looking for any sign of him. There were a couple of items that had survived the fire but the only thing I took was a half burned drawing me brother had done. I stuffed it in my pocket and was about to leave the rubble when I spotted a hand sticking out of a pile a few feet away from me. My heart sank, I felt tears well up as I walked toward it. I fell to my knees and slowly picked up a piece of debris and threw it out of the way, I grabbed the next one quicker and did the same, and then the next, and the next, and the next, until I had completely uncovered the body of my brother. I covered my mouth with my hand as a whimper came out. "Yuki?" I questioned, nudging him a little, as soon as I touched him I pulled my hand back, he was cold.

My body quaked, mangled sobs escaped my mouth "Yuki, wake up, please, wake up" I managed to say between sobs. I cradled his head in my lap, stroking his hair just like I would before he went to bed. "He was worthless trash, just like all the others" a monotone voice said from behind me. I whip my head around to see a man with black hair and greenish blue eyes with streaks of the same color running down, almost like tears ."Did you do this?" I demanded between clenched teeth, more tears sliding down my face. "Why yes, Sakura Fujike-" "How do you know my name?" I snapped, gently moving my brother's head from my lap and placing it on the ground.

"These bodies laying here are just worthless trash" He repeated completely ignoring my question, I could feel the rage bubbling up inside me. I stood up and as I went to grab the blue hilt of my zanpakuto I was quickly struck by a pale hand in my left abdomen. I could feel a hot liquid rise in my throat and I coughed violently, spitting out blood. The crimson liquid stained my clothing leaving patches of it everywhere. I held my ground and wiped my mouth, beginning to once again unsheathe my sword.

In attempt to finish me off, the man kicked me straight in the gut, causing more blood to spill along with knocking me onto my back, several feet from where I once stood. Laying in my own pool of blood, I watched as the man took his leave, muttering something about seeing me again as he left. My vision began to get hazy from all the blood I had lost. The world around me started to darken and I struggled to keep conscious but despite my efforts I faded into the darkness, filled with despair.

- Time skip -

I sat up quickly, screaming and sweaty. I heard a rushing of footsteps and a door was slammed open. "Miss! Are you alright?" a man with fiery red hair and tattoos asked worriedly. I looked around the room, realizing it wasn't my own. "W-where am I?" I asked in return, My heart stopped as I remembered what had happened. "You're in the squad four barracks" He answered, I held my head in my hands "It really did happen then" I silently cried to myself "Yuki, I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect you".

"Let me change your bandages" a woman said, I looked up to see her smiling sympathetically as she walked over to my bedside. I looked down to see that I was wearing a white kimono, but it was stained red by my left side. She gently laid me back and got to work, as she undid my kimono I noticed the red haired man leave but I took nothing of it. This women had long black hair that was braided in the front, her purple eyes filled to the brim with kindness as she gently removed the crimson bandages and but on fresh white ones. I stared blankly at the ceiling, feeling myself getting tired again. I slowly closed my eyes, drifting off into a restless sleep. I dreamed of nothing more than to get my revenge on that man, he would pay for what he'd done.