Revalation

Almost gasping, I was shocked - but not completely. I was a little conspicuous that something important would have happened between Jinyoung and Haknyeon. He didn't appear to be the friendliest person in world - obviously.

I would have never known that I would somehow share the same feelings as someone else, does he understand my pain too? When he first entered the room, he was so confident, so strong, so happy. To think that he actually had a past like this - abused and left alone. But, at least his mother is there for him.

"Oh... I... didn't know." I was speechless and couldn't find anything to reply.

"Of course you wouldn't. Why would anyone want to reveal a past like this? But, you know, it's not always the best thing. To keep these feelings trapped inside you like water in a dam, up until the point where the walls can't take the pressure anymore and everything comes flooding out."

I was dumbstruck hearing these words. These accurate, honest words which I've never heard anyone say. I had to force myself to stop the towards from falling out my eyes, ironic right? However, she wasn't a lady I knew very well so to begin weeping after just meeting would've created a terribly awkward situation. I silently nodded at her but I thanked her in my mind. It relieved me a little to hear her say what she did - after all, talking to Jinyoung that one time honestly did take some of that uncomfortable burden away.

I looked at Jinyoung whilst pondering over my thoughts in silence. He was a friend who stuck by me in my dark times but I wasn't there to help him when he needed it the most. I was content that he was safe here, but I vowed to return the favour to him one day.

I stood up and bowed at Jinyoung's mom.

"I think Jinyoung will be fine now that you're here, so I'll go home." I picked up my bag, voice fading at the end of the sentence.

But just as I was about to leave, a hand gently touched my shoulder. I turned and looked down. Thinking about it now, Jinyoung's mom wasn't actually that tall. Her thin physique just made her look taller than she actually was.

"Daehwi, you can stay if you'd like. I have to go to work early tomorrow anyway so I need to return home myself. I can see that you have treated Jinyoung very well, and I trust that you can look after him well."

A smile appeared on my face, knowing that someone wanted me - needed me - to be somewhere. I nodded, expressing a definite yes and put the bags back down.

"It's already quite late, do you want any food for tonight or tomorrow?" Mrs Bae asked.

"No, it's fine." Why did it have to be that at that moment, my suppressed hunger finally broke out of the cage? The loudest growl was emitted from my stomach and into the room.

I furrowed my brows in embarrassment and looked sheepishly at the lady in front of me.

A gentle laugh echoed. "There's no use in lying when your stomach says otherwise. I'll visit the convenience store and bring some food back." She stepped in the direction of the door.

"Wait!" I exclaimed. She twisted in her place. "I'll give you the money back for the food." I offered.

"It's okay." She assured. "Consider this as a thank you for looking after my dear son." She returned to finish her previous task and the hospital room was silent once more.