Chapter 16: Ranger Toto

Start from the beginning

“Come on. Act at least somewhat normal, Muse is here with us. Your mom was called in on short notice.” Tristan walked over to us and ripped the covers from Hunter. He didn’t even mind he just kept his eyes closed and sighed through his nose.

***

When Tristan finally was able to get us up he let Toto, the adorably mid-aged dog out into the back yard to handle his business. He kept the sliding back doors open so that when the dog was ready he could come back in.

Hunter and I were in the kitchen at the nook resting are heads on our hands while Tristan was in the kitchen scrambling eggs.

“So what happen on the ride home?” Hunter muttered finally lifting his head and picking up some concoction Tristan made to get rid of the hangover. I took a quick sniff and gagged so I was not going to drink that. Hunter just shrugged and swallowed a quarter of the unknown liquid down. It was an orange-ish color, and wasn’t thick in consistency but it definitely was thicker than normal juice.

"Well let’s see.” And it went downhill from there. “You drunk read to Muse. That was an interesting experience for us all. You tried to make out with December but you were just slobbering on her neck. December tripped up the front steps and ripped her pants. You both laughed so hard you could barely breathe. The rubber mats—thank God they were rubber, mats in the car are ruined because you thought you’d pee on it.” He disclosed rolling his eyes and flipping the bacon on the skillet.

“Oh and the worse is that you and December both threw up in your mom’s vase—which I being a great brother-like friend cleaned for you. You’re welcome idiots." He finished cooking at the same time he ended that sentence, setting a plate of bacon and eggs in front of us.

The food was actually delicious and I watched him cook it so I knew it wasn't poisoned. That was obviously a long night for Tristan who had to take care of two drunken children.

“I drunk read to Muse?” Hunter muttered out loud. Tristan was leaning on both hands in front of the nook. His blond hair was styled normally and his eyes were shining—well didn’t he look just happy. Meany.

“Yup, you sounded so stupid! She said ‘Hunter just give me the book ‘cause you can’t read.’ I laughed so hard I nearly cried.” He was laughing now, just remembering it. “Let me tell you the story from the beginning. I force you and her up, and you started tilting towards the door. Hunter pushed it open first and went through. You missed the front step and fell splitting your pants down the sides and he laughed causing you to laugh. Hunter wondered back outside—where your Uncle saw him and slowed down the car, but I pushed him inside and closed the door—you’re welcome again.”

Tristan paused in the story to take a breath and laugh a little. He flipped his hair again and pulled out an orange juice bottle pouring a glass. Next thing I know a little brown headed girl with two pig-tails bound into the kitchen and onto the stool next to me. She beamed a tooth-missing grin at her brother, Tristan, and I before grabbing the juice and slurping it down.

“So we made it into the living room, where you and Hunter were already on the floor and he was slobbering on your neck and you were just leaning into it with a smile. Suddenly you got up and ran to the vase, where I guess you couldn’t try to make it to the bathroom and you threw up, December. Then because you threw up, Hunter had to throw up. Let’s just say there was a lot of vomit.” He wrinkled his nose in disgust.

When Tristan finished his story Toto decided it was finally time to come in, so he did with a slow trot. Muse’s eyes lit up and she leaped off the stool towards the dog, rubbed him, and then with a gleeful shout she bellowed “Come on Ranger Toto! We have to go rescue those horses and save them from the bad people in the West!”