Chapter 27

I felt so giddy after my kiss with Dante; he left before me after wanting to keep our little moment completely private to the two of us. I fixed the garter and Atalanta, heading out to see Lady stood in the hall, leaning against the wall. I just smiled innocently before she spoke.

“Your lip gloss is smeared.”

I went bright red at that then checked the nearby mirror she was lying to me! It wasn’t smeared! I turned back to her to see a grin on her lips then placed a finger on them. I just shrugged before fixing my hair, heading back in after she walked off. Oh god, did she know? Did… Did she figure it out or was she just winding me up like she always did. I headed back in and went to sit with Patty and Morrison on the sofa, I glanced over to Dante before taking a cup of tea that Patty had made for me, sipping it with a smile.

“Thanks Patty but I still say that Dante will win at the end of this.”

“You really think that? He’s going to get eaten alive, Sumi!”

“I know… Fancy a little bet? I’ll buy you an ice cream if you win… And you buy me an ice cream if I win, is that alright?”

“Ok! I don’t think he’ll win… Well, I hope he does but… I don’t think he will! He’s really bad at gambling, Sumi!”

“I think he will, all the way through to the end of the game.”

We shook hands and watched the hand play out as Morrison lit up a cigarette, starting to smoke it. My eyes soaked in the scene in front of us all with delight, Patty raising an eyebrow before pointing at my lips.

“Sumi, why have you got a mark on your lips? It looks like a bruise!”

“Uh…”

I didn’t know what to say, I couldn’t just blurt out with ‘oh yeah, Dante and I made out and he kissed me so hard that it left a lovely mark for me to remember it by’. I grinned at her before shrugging, trying to brush off the comment she made.

“I walked into a door, I know what you’re thinking as well, I’m an idiot, I know!”

“You’re just as stupid as Dante is! Or… Maybe you’re smarter than him.”

“…Thanks, I think…”

I laughed before turning to focus on the hand that was currently being played as Dante folded, not getting a decent hand. I focused my attention on Lucky Amanda and Santa Claus; the elderly man was going to lose this hand and his life. Sure it was a little disappointing knowing what was going to happen but hey, the future could change… Couldn’t it? I didn’t exactly want to test it out at all, just to be on the safe side. My eyes connected with Dante’s own, I couldn’t stop the smile growing on my glossed and bruising lips then glancing away, a light blush on my cheeks. What did this mean for our relationship? Were we just partners still, friends? Or was it more? Friends with benefits maybe? Partners with benefits? Actual boyfriend and girlfriend? No, it wasn’t the last one, he hadn’t asked me to be his girlfriend, it was more likely I was just going to be something he wanted when he felt like it but I hoped it was more.

My head started to ache at all the thoughts I was having, I didn’t know what to think of it, it was terribly confusing to me, I’d have to ask him at some point after this job and when we were alone. Shaking my head, Patty looked up with a confused expression before continuing to watch the hand herself, I focused back on it, not watching Dante as Amanda began to play with her right strand of hair and beads.

I smirked when he pushed forward his chips, Paul folding as Amanda pushed her own chips forward and the elderly man had just walked right into the trap the ‘young’ woman had planted for him.