Pilot

Stefan: For over a century, I have lived in secret. Hiding in the shadows. Alone in the world. Until now. I'm a vampire, and this is my story.

Bonnie: Hold up, who's this?

Elena: All I see is back.

Bonnie: It's a hot back! I'm sensing Seattle and he plays a guitar.

Elena: You're really going to run this whole psychic thing into the ground, huh?

Bonnie: Pretty much.

Elena: (about Matt) He hates me.

Bonnie: That's not hate. That's, "You dumped me but I'm too cool to show it, but secretly I'm listening to Air Supply's greatest hits."

Elena: People are going to stop giving you breaks, Jeremy. They just don't care any more. They don't remember that our parents are dead; they have their own lives to deal with. The rest of the world has moved on. You should try, too.

Jeremy: I've seen you in the cemetery writing in your diary. Is that... is that supposed to be you moving on?

Caroline: His name is Stefan Salvatore. He lives with his uncle up at the old Salvatore boarding house. He hasn't lived here since he was a kid. Military family, so they moved around a lot. He's a Gemini and his favorite color is blue.

Bonnie: You got all that in one day?

Caroline: Please. I got all that between third and fourth period. We're planning a June wedding.

Stefan: I know it's late, but I needed to know if you're okay.

Elena: You know, for months, that's all everyone's wondered about me, if I'll be OK.

Stefan: What do you tell them?

Elena: That I'll be fine.

Stefan: Do you ever mean it?

Elena: Ask me tomorrow. (Stefan stares at her) It's warmer in the house, we can talk. Would you like to come in?

Stefan: (smiles) Yes.

Zach: You promised. (shows him the newspaper with the news of the attack)

Stefan: This was an animal attack.

Zach: Don't give me that. I know the game - you tear them up enough and they always suspect an animal attack. You said you had it under control.

Stefan: And I do.

Zach: Please, Uncle Stefan. Mystic Falls is a different place now. It's been quiet for years, but there are people who still remember. And you being here, it's just going to stir things up.

Stefan: It's not my intention.

Zach: Then what is? Why did you come back after all this time? Why now?

Stefan: I don't have to explain myself.

Zach: I know that you can't change who you are, but you don't belong here anymore.

Stefan: Where do I belong?

Zach: I can't tell you what to do. But coming back here was a mistake.Damon: Your hair's different; I like it.

Stefan: It's been 15 years, Damon.

Damon: Thank God! Couldn't take another day of the 90's. That horrible grunge look did not suit you. Remember Stefan, it's important to stay away from fads.

Stefan: What are you doing here?

Damon: I missed my little brother.

Stefan: You hate small towns; they're boring, there's nothing for you to do.

Damon: I've been keeping myself busy.

Stefan: You left that girl alive tonight. That was very careless of you.

Damon: Yeah, that could be a problem... for you.Damon: Is it working? Being in her world? Does it make you feel alive?Damon: I was impressed. I'll give it a six. Missing style, but I was pleasantly surprised. Very good with the whole face thing, it was good.

Stefan: It's all fun and games, huh, Damon? But wherever you go, people die.

Damon: That's a given.

Stefan: Not here, I won't allow it.

Damon: I take that as an invitation.

Stefan: Damon, please, after all these years, can't we just give it a rest?

Damon: I promised you an eternity of misery, so I'm just keeping my word.Stefan: Stay away from Elena.

Damon: I take that as an invitation.

Stefan's journal:I shouldn't have come home. I know the risk. But I had no choice. I have to know her.I lost control today. Everything I've kept buried inside came rushing to the surface. I'm simply not able to resist her.I had a plan. I wanted to change who I was, create a life as someone new, someone without the past. Someone alive.They follow you. You can't escape them - as much as you want to.Elena's diary:Dear Diary, Today will be different. It has to be. I will smile, and it will be believable. My smile will say, "I'm fine, thank you. Yes, I feel much better." I will no longer be the sad little girl that lost her parents. I will start fresh, be someone new. It's the only way I'll make it through.Dear Diary, I made it through the day. I must have said "I'm fine, thanks" at least 37 times. And I didn't mean it once. But no one noticed. When someone asks "How are you?", they really don't want an answer.Dear Diary, I couldn't have been more wrong. I thought that I could smile and nod my way through it, pretend like it would all be okay.Without the pain. Someone alive. But it's not that easy. Bad things stay with you.All you can do is be ready for the good, so when it comes, you invite it in. Because you need it. I need it.