Chapter 1: "Do you want to know how I imagine my life?"

Start from the beginning

"This is Harry," Matt's voice is filled excitement. "He's visiting from England for the summer."

England? Is the thought that flashes in my head with this information. I could tell he wasn't from here, that was plenty obvious after one quick look at him, but I wasn't expecting England.

"Harry, this is Elle," Matt says as he looks to the boy, still smiling. "I graduated with her last week. She's probably the coolest person I know."

Thanks, Matt.

Even if I won't admit this to his face, his compliment does make me smile on the inside... just a little. I take another swig of the beer in my hand and stare at the new boy in front of me... Harry. What's with British people and the name Harry? Prince Harry. Harry Potter. Harry, Matt's cousin from England. Isn't it possible for them to be a little more original?

"Nice to meet you," Harry's large hand is suddenly in front of my face, speaking the words slowly but still managing to fill them with enthusiasm.

"You too," I nod, ignoring his hand and finishing the beer in mine. "Why the hell would you want to come here? It's probably the shittiest town in South Dakota, maybe even in all of America."

"Oh c'mon, Elle," Matt pushes my shoulder slightly, laughing like I just cracked the funniest joke in the world. "It's not that bad."

I roll my eyes at his comment, but try not to make it too obvious as I do. Matt is one of those people who looks on the bright side of things. Plus it's very likely he's friends with almost every person in this fake ass town.

For whatever reason, a lot of people feel similarly about me. I can't tell you why though because I'm certainly not the friendliest of people. I don't really listen to people when they talk to me, half of the time I barely even acknowledge them. Somehow though, people still pretend I'm this great person, which doesn't make any sense to me because I'm not even close to the same level as Matt in any aspect of personhood. I don't say this to sound pretentious... I think people just pretend to think I'm great, probably because they're all fake, smiling idiots.

"I'm actually looking forward to it," Harry smiles at me, moving his hand away after I've rudely ignored it for longer than I should.

I decide that I like his voice, even if I find his enthusiasm a little overbearing. It's deep and with his accent it's weirdly soothing.

"Well," I push the air from my lungs out, making a puffing sound between my lips. "Just wait, pretty soon you'll be running back to England," I say and he laughs even though I wasn't trying to be funny. "I'll see you later, Matt. I need to find more alcohol."

They both say bye, Harry holding a smile a little longer than I would have expected, and I make my way back through the crowd of people, tugging at my shorts as I walk. They're so short they probably shouldn't even be considered clothes, but I pull them down a little so I'm not showing off my whole ass to the few creepy thirty-year old's that show up every weekend.

On my way to the kitchen I stop and talk to a few people. The conversations are short and rushed on my side of things because I'm not in the mood to be overly friendly. Not that I ever really am.

When I reach the kitchen I find the coolers filled with beer, walking toward the counter to get my hands on one. I hate beer, but I hate being sober at these things even more, so I reach in, grabbing a can from the ice.

After I pop the can open I look around the crowded kitchen, trying to see if there's anyone here I would even bother talking to.

I notice a group of girls who look like they're about fourteen or fifteen standing in the kitchen. While I'm sure they're plenty nice I can tell I already have zero interest in actually talking to them. Judging by their matching clothes and overly done hair, I'm assuming they'll be freshman next year and this is their first official party of their high school careers.