Chaptet 20

"Are you okay?"

Stiles just blinks dumbly at Derek, completely dumbfounded by the question. Finally he nods a couple of times, subconsciously tracing his fingers across his sore neck.

"Yo-you're a werewolf?" Scott stutters, his back still pressed against the wall, his gaze switching between Derek and Stiles for an explanation. Derek turns back to Scott with a glare. "Obviously."

"How? When? Were you bit by the same werewolf as me?" Something in Scott's eyes flicker, and suddenly he's staring coldly at Derek, "Or were you the one that bit me?" Derek rolls his eyes. "I'm a born werewolf and I'm not the one that bit you. It has to be an alpha."

"Then who?" Scott demands. Derek turns away from the other shapeshifter and back to Stiles. "I'm going to go." Stiles just nods, not knowing what else to do.

"Who!"

Derek clenches his jaw, whipping around with his teeth bared. "I. Don't. Know."

"Then what do you know?!" Scott demands, moving closer to the other males, his chest rising and falling rapidly. Derek immediately steps in front of Stiles, claws hanging from each finger. "You need to calm down," Derek hisses, knowing all too well how bad a werewolf without control can be. "What do you know!" Derek growls and shoves Scott back against the wall, Scott half shifting upon impact. He struggles against the hold Derek has on him, but he's no match in strength.

"I'll talk when you're calm."

"I really don't know much," Derek admits, turning his back to Stiles and Scott, who are sitting on his sofa, "I came back to Beacon Hills when Laura was killed, she was only supposed to be here for a couple of days. She called me the night before her murder and told me there was another werewolf in town. When she died, that werewolf stole her alpha spark. I couldn't find any evidence until you," Derek sighs, making short eye contact with Scott. "So that's it? You brought us all the way back here to tell me you don't actually have information that can help?"

Stiles starts putting a little more distance between him and his best friend upon seeing his eyes begin to burn a golden color. "No," Derek states, "I could have easily told you at school and gotten it over with."

"Then why?" Stiles asks this time, not trusting Scott to speak because somehow talking pisses him off more when he's half turning. "To chain him up," Derek replies simplify, looking directly at Stiles before turning his attention to the new werewolf, who is slowly pulling himself to his feet, lips twitching into a snarl. "You think I'm going to let you chain me up like some animal?"

"No. That's why I brought you back to my place." Stiles also stands, growing uneasy as the scene unfolds before him. Scott is making small advances toward Derek like prey, claws already grown out. Derek gestures Stiles over with just his eyes, a quick movement to make sure his attention stays focused on the werewolf getting ready to pounce.

"You're picking him over me?" Scott sneers, glaring at Stiles partially hiding behind Derek. "No offense, but I don't think Derek is going to try to kill me tonight," Stiles replies in a voice smaller than he intended. The comment sets him off and he lurches toward Derek, who uses one hand to block Scott's blow and the other to push Stiles further away.

A wave of anxiety flashes through Stiles as Scott uses his free arm to slash at Derek, leaving five wounds across his chest; though Derek doesn't react much at all to the attack. Stiles fears this will only become more bloody and he doesn't know what to do, because on one hand, Scott is his best friend and he doesn't want to see him dead, but he also can't let Scott kill Derek. Somewhere through his racing thoughts, Stiles remembers he bought chains to restrict Scott on full moons and they're all sitting in a bag down in his Jeep.

Derek doesn't know whether he's relieved that Stiles is out of harms way or pissed that Stiles just ran out of his loft to fend for himself. However, he doesn't put much thought into as he's wrestling Scott and he knows the power of the full moon is giving the inexperienced werewolf an advantage because he's given in and Derek is focusing half of his strength on doing the exact opposite.

Scott puts distance between himself and Derek, only to use the wall as leverage to kick out both legs and hit Derek in the chest, sending him flying backwards and landing on the hard cement. When Derek brushes himself off and slowly pulls himself off the ground, his face has sculpted similar to Scotts and steel blue eyes meet furrious golden ones. Derek snaps his jaw and charges toward the other beta.

Stiles runs back up the stairs, nearly tripping over himself as he tries to stop once reaching the loft. Stiles quickly notices Derek changed as well, and prays that it's out of choice and he won't have to run down the stairs away from two out of control werewolves trying to tear him apart.