Chapter 5

"I caught him going for a walk, thought I'd catch up," Noah explains carefully, "Since he didn't come by here when he got back to town." Derek rubs the back of his neck awkwardly and apologizes, "Sorry, I'm still settling in. I've only been back a week." Stiles says nothing, his face completely blank of expression.

A tension filled silence takes over the room and Noah puts a hand on Derek's shoulder, as if to pressure the teen to say something. "It's good to see you again, Stiles," Derek smiles. Then Stiles is suddenly glaring and shaking his head. "Did my dad have to remind you of my name?" He snaps. "What? Stiles, what are you talking about? Why wouldn't I remember your name?" He glances between the two Stilinski's like he's confused. Stiles bites the inside of his lip, holding back tears. Every single time Stiles has imagined being reunited with Derek, this is far from what happened. His best friend.

"I'm going to my room," Stiles announces quietly.

***

At school the next day, Derek is the opposite as he acted at Stiles house. He continues to ignore everyone, even when they start polite conversation. The only person he acknowledges is Jackson, and that's only to send a sly grin to piss him off.

"He was at your house?!"

"Yes, Scott! How many times do you want me to say it? He was just standing there like he hadn't pretended not to no who I was."

"Well have you tried talking to him?" Scott quizzes. "And why the hell would I do that?"

"I don't know, maybe he was overwhelmed with everything." Stiles sighs and shakes his head, "I've passed him in the hall and in class, if anything was different I think he would have said something."

"You want to talk to him, don't you?" Scott presses. "No," he deadpans. "Stiles..."

"Okay, maybe. Yes—yes! Of course I do. But what would I even say? 'hey I know you ignored me all week but at my house you seemed friendly. Wanna hang?'"

"He was your best friend, Stiles, you should know how to talk to him."

"I would be able to talk to him if he didn't look at me like a freaking stranger, Scott. It's weird," Stiles mumbles the last part. "I'll go with you," Scott offers, but is immediately shot down. "No, that'll just make him uncomfortable. He's not exactly an open guy."

"Fine. What about after lacrosse practice? After everyone is gone you two will be alone," he suggest with a shrug. "Fine, but no werewolf hearing abilities to listen in on the conversation," Stiles points sternly. "Okay."

"You have to promise."

"Geez, I promise. No werewolf powers," he puts his hands up defensively. "Thank you." Stiles pushes open the locker room door, instantly spotting the teen. He forces himself to look away from the shirtless Derek. He definitely didn't have those in the seventh grade. Stiles blushes pink and chews on the inside of his lip. There's no way he'll be able to confront a topless Derek, not with abs like that.

"Dude!" Scott exclaims in a whisper yell, "Were you checking him out!"

"..no?"