Chapter 15

Stiles finds sanctuary in his bedroom once again, refusing to leave with a whole new wave of guilt and confusion. The sheriff knocks multiple times throughout the day, asking if he wants dinner and making sure he's alright when Stiles says he's not hungry, because Stiles is always hungry. Eventually theres another knock that echoes through his silent room, then light from the hall is flooding in and lighting up the dark.

"I'm headed down to the station," Noah tells his son, partially leaning on the doorframe. "Okay," is all he manages as a response.

After a couple hours pass, Stiles sighs and actually gets out of bed for the first time since he got home from school. He figures wallowing in self pitty is fine but he should at least hydrate himself. As he passes the table, Stiles wills himself not to look at the case his dad left behind. He wants to sulk and that's it. He reminds himself of that while filling a glass with water, but inevitably finds himself sitting in a chair right in front of the closed file.

"Just a little peak," he whispers to himself, slowly reaching out to open the folder. Of course, being Stiles, one photo isn't enough. He begins spreading them across the table until he's seen all the clues and is left staring at the bottom half of a women's body, then moves to the report to get more information.

Unidentified female, severed at the waist, found in Beacon Hills preserves, top half still missing.

Stiles decided that being sad can wait until later, right now he can distract himself. So he runs to his room for a hoodie, the keys to his Jeep, and his infamous baseball bat. Everything is really a blur in the passing minutes until Stiles pulls into Scott's drive and starts climbing the siding up to the teenagers bedroom.

"Dude, it's almost midnight," Scott complains while opening the window for his best friend. "Yes, but you owe me this, Scott. Remember? Pissed off best friend here," he dramatically gestures to himself and Scott sighs. "Fine. What trouble are you getting me into now?" Stiles grins in triumph and slaps Scott's shoulder. "They found a dead body in the woods...and half of it is still missing."

"So?"

"So? Dude, half a freaking body is missing. You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town! We're going," Stiles states, not giving Scott much of a choice at this point.

——

"How much further, Stiles? I wanted to get a good nights rest before our game tomorrow," Scott complains, sluggishly following behind Stiles with the flashlight. "I don't know, Scott, it's not like I have a gps tracker for dead bodies. Wait! Why don't you just sniff out the blood or something, being a werewolf can finally come in handy." Scott wrinkles his face in disgust, Stiles just mentioning it brings the rotting scent straight to his nose.

"Wha—where are you going?"

"To the dead body," Scott calls over his shoulder. Stiles perks up and turns to his right, practically jogging for ten minutes just to keep up with the werewolf.

"Sco-Scott," Stiles pants, leaning against a tree to catch his breath, hunching over and gasping for air, "Ca-can we just take a short break?"

"Scott?" Stiles glances up with just his eyes, staring at his best friends back. "We're here," he states. "What? Let me see." The human brings his flashlight up to check their surroundings. Stiles swallows the lump in his throat, shuttering at the burnt house in front of him.

"Scott...do you know where we are?" Stiles asks slowly, never looking away from the home in front of him and not being able to control the tears welling up. "No. Should I?"

"This is Derek's old house," he breaths out, finally willing himself to turn away. "Maybe he could explain that then."

"What?"

Scott grabs Stiles' wrist and points the beam of light at an obvious covered hole, eerily resembling a fresh grave.

"No," Stiles denies immediately, shaking his head and backing away, "No, he wouldn't." Scott's ears perk at the sound of multiple men with dogs, nearing close to the teenagers.

"Stiles, we have to go."

"He wouldn't kill anyone," Stiles whispers to himself, completely missing what Scott just said. "Come on!" He whisper yells, grabbing onto Stiles and running back through the woods.