Chapter 6

Scott gives Stiles a discrete nod. They purposely took as long as possible in the locker room, now everyone is gone besides them and Derek.

When the sound of the door closing, signaling Scott has left, Stiles gulps. He carefully walks around the wall of lockers, exposing Derek's back as he tosses the last of his things into his bag and zips it.

"Derek," is the only thing Stiles manages to say, but he ignores it. Stiles face falters, his bottom lip trembling. "Derek!" With a sigh, Derek turns around. "What?" He sneers. To his surprise, Stiles isn't glaring, rather he's crying. They stare at each other for a long time, so Derek actually flinches when Stiles yells at him. "How could you do this to me!? Why are you doing this to me!"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Derek mumbles, turning away. "Liar!" Stiles snaps. Without thinking, he has Derek pinned against the lockers. He growls and flips around, but doesn't push Stiles away.

"You were my friend," Stiles whispers through pressed teeth, "My best friend."

"Let me go," Derek replies calmly, avoiding those auburn eyes that are trying to dig into his sea green ones. "No. No, you owe me an explanation. I did everything for you, I was by your side until the very moment you left after the fire, Derek." Derek scoffs, his features hardened as he stares right through Stiles. "You really don't remember, do you?" Derek barks. He pushes the other teen off from him and grabs his bag. "Don't remember what?" Stiles inquires. Had he actually done something before Derek left, something that could make him like this?

Derek pauses by the door, looking down at his shoes for a moment. "Doesn't matter."

"Derek—" he goes to protests, but he's gone just as quickly as Scott comes bursting in.

"What the hell was that? I thought you were just going to talk to him!" Scott exclaims. Stiles shoots him a scowl, "And I thought you weren't going to listen."

"Okay, that's fair," Scott admits, "But what did he mean? I was messing around before, but I think you did something to seriously piss him off before he left, man." Stiles is now sitting on the bench with his face buried in his hands, trying his damndest to remember.

***

At four in the morning, while Stiles lays contemplating every single action he had made before Derek has left, he suddenly sits up right. "Oh my, god. Oh my—" He staggers from his bed and reaches for his phone, dialing Scott.

"Dude, do you know what time it is?" Scott groans, rubbing his eyes. "I remember something—well sort of, it doesn't tell me what I did but it means I can dig around."

"Please get to the point, Stiles. We have school in two hours," Scott whines. "A party, Scott, me and Derek went to a party. It was the week before his house burnt down."

"Okay?"

"I drank. Yes, I know, dumb idea because I was only a seventh grader but it was a high school party and Peter kept pressuring me—"

"Peter?" Scott intervenes, more confused than ever. "Oh, right. Peter is Derek's Uncle, but he's only a few years older than us," Stiles quickly explains, "Anyway, I don't remember like half that night so...it had to be then, right?"

"Scott? Scott!" Stiles sighs, of course he fell back asleep. Needless to say, Stiles doesn't sleep much at all, less than an hour to be more specific.