30: Anticipation (End.)

Five more years passed since they've started their outdoor garden. The garden was a sign of hope, a glimmer of light in the pitch black void. The garden was a perfect touch to their lives. Hunter even started helping tend to the plants. Spring, Summer and Autumn rolled by swiftly.

It was only winter when they had to part from the garden... and it was only winter when Oren would get anxiety attacks.

Winter was the worst for Oren, considering everything that's happened within the last decade. The trauma, pain and misery that blasted woman gave him.. He didn't do anything to deserve it all, did he?

Chip was no longer with them. He passed from lung cancer two years ago. They have a grave placed for the pup's ashes in the backyard. It was a memorial for the little dog.

Xenia officially moved outside. She was about the size of a car now, and she could no longer fit inside the house. Her scales hardened and grew larger, eyes narrowed and smaller. Her wings were huge, webbed with thick grey skin. Her left pinion was a little damaged from trying to squeeze through doorways a while back. She was still protective over Hunter and the couple.

During the winter, Xenia slept under the magnolia tree and the couple covered her with large fleece blankets as she slumbered. Her wings would often get tangled with the blankets though.

Hunter was now eight years old. He's gotten into a plethora of things, especially science. He was attending an elementary school miles from here, and Clayton walked him to school Monday through Thursday. It was easy to move around this place; most of the buildings have been cleaned up and redesigned, yet still nobody bothered to live in any on their street.

"Dad, can we go for a walk today?" he asked, rocking back and forth on his heels. Clayton leaned down and ruffled his son's head of curly blond hair, looking down to bright blue eyes. His teeth have all grown in and his smile was nearly perfect. A boy as young as him wouldn't be as charming and as bright as Hunter. He was prudent and constantly optimistic.

"Aren't you tired of walking? Y'know, from school?" Clayton chuckled as the boy tugged on his shirt pleadingly. Oh, he's a very active kid... That was never mentioned.

"Walking is good for you though," Hunter said, "I learned that in school today." He cackled in triumph, standing impatiently in the eye of the living room.

"That's good. Here, I'll check on your papa and I'll be right back down." Clayton urged Hunter to stay downstairs as he proceeded upwards. Lately, Oren hasn't been in his best condition. His stomach emptied itself every five minutes, and it would lead to dry heaving. Oren was always nauseous and unsteady, so he spent most of his time sleeping today.

They made love the night before, although it might not seem important at the moment.

Clayton gently opened the door to their bedroom, and the sheets were thrown from the bed and the wash cloth was on the floor. Clayton looked to his right, towards the bathroom. Putrid retching could be heard from inside. The human knocked on the door and entered to the sight of Oren slumped over the toilet, heaving nothing but air.

"Oh, my stomach.." he croaked. White hair stuck to his face with sweat, and he looked up towards his lover. Clayton knelt down beside the elf, rubbing his tense back.

"I'm gonna take Hunter out back for a walk. Just go rest, I'll go get your wash cloth." He fetched the cloth from their bedroom and rinsed it out before placing it over the elf's neck. "If you feel any better, come outside with us. It's nice out." he pointed to the open window, listening to the loquacious birds outside.

The animals sung melodies that only they could understand.

_

Clayton took Hunter outside in the backyard, where Xenia padded behind closely and protected the two instinctively. The little boy reached up and pet the large dragon, rubbing his palm along the creature's snout. She huffed softly, nostrils flaring as her lizard-like eyes dilated.

Hunter was quicker than the blond, who trailed behind calmly as he stroked Xenia's cheek. The child made his way around the yard a few times, having to take a break on the porch briefly before he resumed doing laps. He passed his father numerous times, and each time he waved excitedly.

The boy had a lot of energy to burn off.

After half an hour, a familiar figure emerged from the back of the house. As Oren shut the glass door behind himself, Clayton gestured for Xenia to sit. She sat down obligingly and swept her tail against the rough grass, thick, plated muscle rolling across the ground. She let out a guttural, affectionate roar to catch Oren's attention.

The elf shyly approached, trailing down the set of steps and onto the bright grass. He greeted Xenia in Greek, eliciting a gentle rumble from the large creature. She nudged Oren's side, sniffing his shirt with wide eyes. Her crystal gaze grew wary. The elf let out a chuckle and rubbed his stomach. His gaze flicked over to Clayton's.

"Are you feeling better? Did you eat something weird? Are you sure you're not sick?" Clayton brooded. The elf's eyes only gleamed with hope in the unmasked sunlight as a smile dawned on his lips.

"I'm fine, I promise." he replied, shifting from foot to foot. As Hunter neared, he slowed down to a complete stop, hugging Oren.

"Hey papa. Are you okay?" Hunter asked softly looking up worriedly. Oren rolled his eyes with a laugh.

"I'm okay, really!"

His emerald eyes gazed over Clayton's, stagnant. He stepped forward and reached for Clayton's hand, leading the human's palm to his own belly. The elf pressed the hand to his stomach and inched closer, leaning up to his ears. His breath tickled Clayton's hair.

"I'm pregnant." he whispered. There was a following silence so thick that it could be cut with a knife. The air stilled, the whistling breeze stopped and the birds resisted singing...

The realization finally kicked in.

Then Clayton threw himself onto the elf, embracing him tightly. A wide smile developed on his face as he jumped and cheered and whooped for joy. Oren giggled unsubtly and hugged the human back.

"Is it a boy or girl?" Clayton asked impatiently, rubbing the elf's stomach with his palm. He felt the skin below his hand move, and Oren chuckled. Hunter stood beside them, dumbfounded. Since they were both happy, he couldn't help but smile.

"It's a girl.. Last night really made an impact on me." the elf leaned over and elatedly kissed Clayton on the lips, eliciting a breath to squeeze from the other. The kiss lingered in the air until a little hand pulled at Oren's shirt.

Clayton broke the kiss and gazed down to the baffled boy next to them.

"You're going to have a sister." Oren informed the child, ruffling his hair with vigor. The boy pulled away and cackled, blushing a rosy red. His little teeth were as white as snow; maybe whiter than Oren's hair.

"Really? What's her name??" he jumped up and clasped his hands together with happiness.

"We haven't decided yet. Do you wanna help choose the name?"

Hunter mused for a while... When he came to a conclusion, he didn't waste another beat of silence. He pumped his fist in the air and cheered.

"Let's name her!"

_____
Thank you for reading this book!

It's been a little stressful writing this, and even at some points I debated on scrapping the whole story, but I pulled through. Sorry if the plot was all over the place, including the way-too-complex storyline ;;

Tell me what the new baby's name should be! I'd love to see your suggestions~

I hope to see you all in the future!