18: A Dreamland

Oren woke to sunlight filtering down through speckled spaces. A calm breeze washed over him, shaking about tree leaves and blades of green grass. He opened his eyes to the magnolia tree, blossomed pink petals fluttering to the ground. He sat up hastily, looking around as he caught sight of his lover.

Clayton was sitting against the tree trunk, sketchbook in hand, with Xenia curled up next to him. His eyes didn't waver from the pages. Everything was slightly warped and discolored, like looking through a glass. Oren took a step towards Clayton, but before he was close enough to reach out, his environment faded; melting to reveal a rather large room, he sat atop nothing but layers and layers of little white rocks, rough and scratchy against the skin.

A familiar glowing essence appeared before him, materializing into Euthenia as she sat daintily over the small minerals. Oren scooped up a handful of these rocks, seeing as they fit perfectly in his palm. "What do you want this time, quote-unquote 'Goddess'?" Oren barked with venom, causing the woman to smile calmly.

"You know what these minute rocks are, do you not?" she muttered, voice slipping through pale lips like silk from a limb. Her voice was low and calming, and Oren wanted to fall asleep to it. The elf simply shook his head, making her give a humorless chuckle.

"This is a volcanic substance called Perlite. Given your strong connection to nature, and that you are no longer in sync with your abilities, it allows me the chance to suck them all away from your grasp." The woman reached down and swiped her hand across the rock. "This is commonly used with gardens, for they have quite a high water count." her eyes flicked up to Oren's knowingly.

"What does this have to do with me?" Oren asked, intrigued.

"You are a wood elf; native of the jungles and forests. You can bend any nature to your will, and you still ask what this has in relation to you," she seemed to tense with annoyance, even so she continued, "each dream you have of this volcanic gas, you will anticipate adrenaline and thrill. Danger lurks ahead, and your subconscious warns you by using perlite as an example." she explained.

The perlite felt rough in his palm. He squeezed the pebbles tightly. "Why are you telling me this, to trick me? I never knew the ancient Greek Gods were this rogue." Oren rejoined, elvish ears twitching in annoyance.

"I am simply warning you; no malice intended. To label me 'rogue' is insulting; I am nothing of the sort. All I care to tell you is that your actions determine whether you keep your powers or not." Euthenia kept her voice and expression firm.

"There's always a catch with you." Oren was as smart as a whip.

"This type of attitude will be your undoing, boy." she seemed to tense as she raised her hand. Oren felt his muscles clench, breath pausing. His whole body felt paralyzed, burning with an urge to move and struggle, yet he couldn't move an inch. "Speak to me like that once more and you'll never see the sun again."

With a flick of her fingers, Oren fell back as his vision faded to an empty void, leaving nothing but a lonely darkness.

_

"Oren, time to wake up. We've got another mission." Clayton voice rang in Oren's ears, making him groan. He buried his face into the pillow as a chuckle followed.

"I've already fed Hunter and the pets. Now come on sleepyhead, before I dump water on your pretty little face." The threat was eerily sweet, yet the meaning was rash. Oren shivered, pushing himself up from the pillow as his hair fell over his eyes, tangled in ivory strings. His body strung with shudders before he stretched and situated himself on the bed.

He croaked, "I get it... I'm up.."

"Good. It's time to go scouting."

Oren rolled his eyes mentally. He wasn't a morning person; never will be. Scouting was his least favorite because he had to get all dirty with blood and dirt and whatever other substances there were to offer. The food was most important, though... They needed it to survive. He had to remember that to keep his sanity in check.

He flopped back onto his pillow with a heavy sigh. He wasn't a fan of rushing either, but his impatient and restless lover kept him from staying still too long. Clayton plopped on top of him, legs spreading into a straddle as he leaned over Oren's chest.

"C'mon. The pets and baby are sleeping." Clayton rumbled suggestively. Oren knew he was joking by the tone, though it was almost entirely convincing.

"Not when I have morning breath.." Oren replied, turning away curtly. Clayton only smirked.

"Please? Just one kiss and I'll consider forgetting the scout mission."

That peaked the elf's interest, driving green orbs to stare into cyan ones. "You're lying."

"I'm not." Clayton's playful expression dropped to a more solemn look, striking a sharp jab of guilt into Oren's chest.

"Fine. Just a peck though." The elf was already beginning to flush.

"Doesn't count. I want a real passionate kiss."

"You're so greedy!" Oren shouted, slapping a hand squarely across the blond's shoulder. The tips of his ears and the apples of his cheekbones were nothing but balls of heat, blaring with a mixture of ruby red and forest green. The colors looked nice on his face.

"Is that a yes or no?"

Truth was, Clayton loved to scout. It was his favorite activity, and it was obvious that it wasn't Oren's. Scouting was basically a routine they did every other week to get new food sources. They fought the hostile animals and brought back a week's worth of meat and vegetables. Of course Oren felt bad for eating the plants, for they were practically one of the same.

Without Oren's powers, he had nothing to fight with besides his fists... He wasn't much of a fighter in general.

After many beats of silence, Oren spoke. "Just this once." he agreed, eyes hazy as his imagination ran wild. A nervous jump in his pulse made his gasp lightly, allowing the human to swoop down as catch the elf in a kiss. It was sportive and lively at first, but it soon turned messy as tongues slipped and teeth brushed. Oren's elvish ears twitched in appreciation as the two continued.

His mind had completely forgotten the dream.

_____
Thanks for reading!