22: Familiar Flora

Oren has been sleeping for about two weeks. Clayton made sure to monitor his temperature and heartbeat as he slept under the spell. Over the few weeks, thin sheets of green, closely resembling tissue paper, formed over his motionless body. They seemed to have little crimson veins; fuzzy yet familiar. The slumbering elf was oblivious to the flora growing over him.

Thin leaves, large and small, covered his cheeks, thick forest vines wrapping around legs and emerald vegetation layered over his arms. Clayton, unaffected by the changes, continued to keep track of his health. As he pressed a palm to his forehead, he felt a soft sigh fall from the elf's lips. He seemed a bit more conscious than he used to be.

"Oren?" Clayton muttered, watching as the man breathed in through his mouth and out. He was still in a heavy daze, unresponsive. He was calm as Clayton felt as if he could lose his mind any minute now.

"Oren, please... You keep getting yourself into dangerous situations. You've avoided death, like, six times already. How come you keep teasing my sanity like this? It's painful, y'know." Clayton told him, voice wobbling. His was in utter despair and his heart ached for his lover to be safe. Though his pleas seemed to fall upon deaf ears.

"Please. Oren, just... stay home for a while. No scouting. No adventures until I know I can trust you... You keep coming close to death's door, raising your hand to knock until I pull you back and bandage you up... are you doing this on purpose? Why?" he continued. He felt tears slip down his cheeks.

"No! I have nothing to do with these things happening to me... The voice, dimensions, kidnapping, scouting, everything... I don't know!" Oren looked down, tears blurring his vision. His face got hot and his ears burned. "I don't know..." he let out a soft wail, crying into the void in which he loitered.

Clayton couldn't hear him.

_

The next few weeks were the slowest weeks Clayton's ever been through. Every day was a living nightmare without Oren. He developed a routine of prying jewels out of Xenia's jaw, taking care of Hunter and checking on Oren's status. Whenever Hunter cried for attention, Clayton shuffled from wherever he was and whatever he was doing to hold the toddler in his arms.

He was pushing through his third - or was it fourth - week and he was about to break down. It was the kidnapping all over again, but even worse. Oren was so close, close enough to touch, but it felt like he was millions of miles away. He was unconscious for the next two days. Clayton couldn't bear the absence of his lover.. The human was in anguish.

Soon, the time came. After Clayton sat Hunter in his crib, he dragged himself towards his bedroom, retrieving the thermometer and mentally preparing to be crashing into a familiar state of dread, chasm and anxiety. Instead, he approached another sight and the thermometer fell to the floor.

Sitting slouched over, rubbing dazed eyes, limp arms and a messy bird's nest of white hair, the elvish ears twitched to a needle dropping and a freckled nose sniffed tiredly at the environment. Oren sat up straight and groaned, stretching stiff arms and a sore back.

"Babe?"

Oren looked up towards the voice, blinking slowly. "Clayton... Clayton? Cla--" his mantra was interrupted by lips pressing against his, warmth enveloping him, a palm pressing against his shoulder blades and a hand brushing back his white hair.

When Clayton pulled away, he inspected Oren's delayed gaze. His eye color began fading. "Oren? Are you okay?" The elf looked down, unsure where to focus as his hands clenched Clayton's biceps.

_

As promised, Oren's powers returned within an hour. It felt nice to be back by nature's side; back as one and complete. Oren was now free to wrap wild vines around anything he desired, and he reveled in the privilege. He was able to produce vibrant flowering plants and alien-like flora that were more extravagant than ever before.

His powers were strong and stable, powerful and grand with new abilities and tricks. Things were finally looking up and Oren finally felt like he could be himself again. He could protect himself from anything and everything if he put his mind to it. Whenever he urged nature to accompany him, it would be right there by his side as not only an ally, but a companion too.

Xenia played with Hunter as the two fiddled with a toy rocket in Hunter's crib. Meanwhile, Oren beckoned his human lover into the room, watching as Hunter waved around the plastic toy. Clayton approached the elf, making Oren turn around and wrap his arms around his shoulders.

A long, thin plant sprouted from his palm, slithering over Clayton's shoulders and around his neck to brush at his cheek. The human flushed with red and gripped Oren's shirt. It was refreshing to feel his heat again, to feel hands gripping and breath ghosting over someone else.

Clayton latched onto him and only squeezed tighter, as if he'll fade away any second. As if he'll leave for good, and fail to avoid death this time.

"I heard you talking to me, you know. While I was asleep. How long was I out anyway?" the elf broke the silence.

Clayton replied without hesitation; "You were asleep for about three weeks. I was able to take care of Hunter and the pets but... It wasn't the same without you there with me." he leaned forward and placed a chaste kiss to the elf's cheek. "I'm sorry for what I said while you were sleeping. I was... I was a little more than stressed." he chuckled lightly.

Oren waved the apology off with a smile. "Don't be sorry. I honestly don't know why these things are happening to me. I honestly don't know." His smile dropped slowly.

Oren explained, "I know it's Euthenia's doing though. Every time I fall asleep, I have a dream. The same dream-- a dream of perlite; a volcanic gas that's used as fertilizer to gardens. She's using the dreams to warn me of danger and at the same time, she sends these horrible creatures to kill me off. I don't understand what her deal is."

"Maybe she has multiple personalities." Clayton suggested. Oren shook his head.

"I doubt an ethereal being like her could have any disabilities. Gods are portrayed as perfect people, flawless and mighty warriors and lovers." Oren rolled his eyes at his own mythology.

"I bet you that at least one God or Goddess has a flaw. Maybe Hades has Acrophobia. Ooh, or maybe Zeus has Alzheimer's." Clayton nudged Oren, making him laugh softly. The mere thought of Gods with imperfections seemed impossible...

Was it possible?

_____
Thanks for reading!

Hint hint