10: Eternal Corral

Oren woke from his sleep, still drowsy and faint. He felt familiar tight ropes, chaffing at his wrists as liquid crimson oozed around the rough binds. The thickness around his thin ankles held Oren fast to the ground, not like he could move his lower body anyway. He spat with a parched mouth, wincing sharply as the ropes dug further into his flesh.

Enjoy your sleep? I thought you would. Day two of this horrible place, right? Do not fret, we will be finished before long.

Although the woman's voice sounded piteous, Oren knew she was far from it. She deserved a pickaxe dropped on her foot. Oren felt his eyes water slightly, but he held the tears back for later.

"Why are you doing this? Let me go and I swear I won't tell Clayton. I won't tell anyone, for that matter. I'll say I got lost when taking a walk... Just please let me go." he begged, looking up to the ceiling as if someone were to drop down from the hatch at any moment.

Wretched mortal. You've become like the human; the vile rat that scurries around, looking panicked for his love. He shuffles and tips, bends and bows. An elf, a creation of thine, should not stoop to such putrid levels.

Oren tugged harshly at the rope tied around his wrists. It wasn't leather this time and it was much more flaky. It was painful.

"What do you want of me so badly?" Oren asked. He felt like he's asked the same question a thousand times, yet received no direct answer. He waited in the dreadful silence, hoping that she was still present. The elf could feel her watching over, but he couldn't see her.

Her response lingered within the isolating silence.

_

Day 6

The same dark ropes dug tighter into his skin, making him whimper softly. The elf looked around, angered, tugging away at his restraints. This wasn't frail leather anymore... This was a thick, binding rope that could tie around anything and never let go. He needed something sharp to cut the chaffing binds around his wrists.

You are considering, yes? I believe you can wrestle yourself free once again, though we will only tie you back up once you are sedated.

"You haven't answered any of my questions." Oren growled aloud, pulling harshly at the rope behind him.

Am I required to?

"Yes! Tell me what's going on! Where am I?!" he screeched, brows caving in angrily.

Ah... Persistent, aren't you? You are nothing but small. A weakling, I must say. You are nothing without your powers. You're no wood elf; you dare call yourself such?

"I never said anything like that. Don't put words in my mouth, woman." he snapped. His fists clenched tightly, and he pulled. His muscles strained against the rough rope. He tried pushing against his back and wrenching his wrist away, but his efforts only loosened the grip. The rope was still tightly bound.

You are quite the feisty one. Does the human who names himself Clayton, ever see this side of you?

Oren's wrists burned, scalding, so he finally slackened, falling to the ground in exhaustion. He did not want to answer, but the voice would only berate him more until he broke. 'This is so unfair,' he thought, 'why are you doing this? Can't I just go home?'

"I will never surrender myself to you, demon." he sighed, white hair falling over his eyes. He huffed and regained his balance, fingers trembling as he made a second attempt in getting his hands free.

Oh, I am no demon, mortal. Quite the opposite, actually. You wouldn't want to fool around with a Greek Goddess, would you?

'A Greek Goddess..? That can't be true.' Oren shook his head in denial. He wouldn't believe that even for a second. "Where's Clayton?! Where is he?" he pleaded, his anger dissipating to mere desperation.

Your lover is gone. Under the cover of darkness, my little wyrms helped get rid of him...

and the child.

Oren's heart dropped, sinking down to the deepest pit in his stomach. His throat closed up and he felt as if he couldn't swallow or even breathe properly. His eyes blurred with the oncoming rush of tears. "No... H-He's not.." he uttered, words coming out incoherently. He couldn't move, and his stomach was set to spiral; a restless nausea.

'Why? Why, why, why... Why did he have to-' Oren's thought process abruptly cut short when he hunched over and dry heaved, tears rolling quickly down his cheeks. He didn't care who was watching him. He retched up the air he breathed in, coughing and hacking into the already humid air.

With each tense breath, he forced himself not to hyperventilate on the stagnant air. He felt as if the glass walls around him were closing in, and he was helpless. Waves of shock flowed through his veins as he flinched and let out a gag, involuntarily choking on his own spit. It was painful to even breathe in this suffocating room.

He wanted to scream... He wanted to do something. His thoughts were erratic.

'Trapped. No way out. No crevice, seal, anything. I need SOMETHING. Get me out of here. Get me out of here. Let me go.' he gasped, the tears running quickly down his chin.

"CLAYTON!!" he screamed, ears pinned to his head as he cried and continued to heave. He couldn't keep his eyes open long enough to notice the woman to hesitantly opened the hatch above. His chest convulsed uncontrollably and he heaved once more, feeling nothing but regret and sorrow. He didn't acknowledge the hand gently grasping his arm, or the needle pressed to the underside of his wrist.

His breath hitched unsteadily as he began to feel dizzy. His vision grew dark and he fell to the ground, limp. His tears kept falling over his nose, pulse racing and head pounding with an excruciating pain. His eyes relaxed, though the tears still slipped under his eyelids.

He fell unconscious, heart hurting.

_____

Thanks for reading!

I am so sorry I'll make it all up to you later, I promise!!