Questions

"Why did we hear sirens when you called us?" Lasercorn asks.

"Because I called the police."

"But why?" Mari asks.

"Same reason I brought a baby and a dog home. I found her mom." I take a deep breath and continue. "She, uh, she wasn't in a good situation."

Several of them look at each other, then back at me. "What do you mean?"

I sigh. "She was dead."

It's silent for a couple minutes.

"The officer I was talking to and who brought me here, said that he would tell me if he found any relatives for her to live with, but until then I was allowed to be her foster dad."

Lilly crawls over and stands up using my knee for balance. "Dada?"

I could see Joven, Damien, Sohinki, and Flitz look confused while Mari, Boze, and Lasercorn smile. I smile as well and pick her up, setting her on my hip.

"Yes, Sugar?" I see Joven look even more confused.

"I'm hungry."

"What do you want to eat?"

"Uhh, can I have a banana?" I look at the others, then specifically at Lasercorn. I mouth "can you give her one?" which he responds with a nod of his head. I look back at Lilly.

"Umm, Daddy's allergic to bananas, but Uncle Lasercorn isn't, so why don't you ask him.?" I set her down and she crawls over to the couch where Lasercorn is sitting. He bends down, picks her up, and brings her to the kitchen. Alley walks back over to me and lays down, resting her head on my lap. I gently pet her head.

"Why Lasercorn?" Asks Sohinki.

"Because he's a dad. He knows how to take care of children. I trust him with her."

Alley gets up and starts circling me. Not threateningly, but like she wants to protect me.

Everyone looks at each other, then back at me. "What is she doing?"

"I-I don't know."

She sits down beside me again, then starts nuzzling her nose into my sleeve.

When I realize what she's doing, my eyes widen and I try to move her away.

Instead of getting angry like I feel most dogs would, she just stops, puts a paw on my arm, and looks right into my eyes.

After what feels like a long time, I let go of my sleeve, as I'd been holding it down, and she gently grips the sleeve with her teeth and pulls it up to my elbow. I turn my arm palm up and Alley starts licking it. When she finishes, I roll up the other sleeve and she does the same thing to the other. I look down. I can't look at my friends.

You've done it now.

I know.

I close my eyes as I feel tears slowly make their way down my face for what feels like the tenth time today.

You're weak.

I know.

"Wesley?" I open my eyes and see everyone looking at my arms.

"Dada?"

I look over and see Lasercorn holding Lilly. She reaches her arms out and Lasercorn hands her over to me. I sit her down on my leg and she runs her small hands over the hundreds of white scars littering my forearms.

"Wes, what're those?"

I lay Lilly on the floor, and Alley lays down next to her and Lilly cuddles up to her. I sigh and wipe my tears. I see Joven get up and sit down on the floor beside me. More tears make their way down my face as I lean my head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Joven kisses my head and runs his fingers through my hair.

"Wes, it's ok. But why? Why didn't you tell anyone? Is it the same reason as before? Because you'd think we wouldn't care?"

I sniffle and nod.

Can you be any less pathetic?

I know. I'm sorry.

"Wes, there's no need to be sorry. We should be the sorry ones. We thought something was up for a while but we didn't say anything until today. I mean, I'm your fucking boyfriend, and I didn't know anything was going on. I'm sorry, Wes. You don't deserve this."

It's too much. I bury my face into his shoulder as I cry. After a couple of minutes, I feel a tap on my knee. I sniffle and look over at Lilly, who is standing up again, using my knee as balance. I smile and pick her up, resting her against my chest.

"Dada ok?"

I nod. "Yeah, Daddy's fine. I'm fine, Sweetheart." I rub the back of her head and she slowly falls asleep.

She most likely has a family.

I know.

You're not gonna be able to keep her and raise her.

I know.

They're-

"Wes?" I look up and see Mari kneeling down in front of me. "Can I give her to Lasercorn?"

I look up at him, and I trust him. He's a dad after all. But I'm hesitant. As of right now, she's the only thing keeping me from ending it. Or at least trying to. I slowly hand her to Mari, who quickly yet gently hands her to Lasercorn.

Sohinki, Flitz, Damien, and Boze focus on Lasercorn and Lilly while Joven and Mari focus on me.

Joven sits on the floor so he's closer to Mari and me.

I look at Mari as she moves some of my bright silver hair out of my face, simultaneously wiping a tear away. She sits in my lap, her legs out to the side as she wraps her arms around my neck and gives me a hug. I break down again and wrap my enormous arms around her tiny frame and I lay my head on her shoulder and cry.