Officer Corn

I see the police cars drive over and I wave them down. They pull over and get out.

"Sir, I'm Officer Corn, are you the one who called us?"

I nod and smile a little. That's what Lasercorn calls himself when we play Grand Theft Smosh. "The body is down in the alley."

The cop motions for the ambulance and a couple of cops to go down there while he got out a notepad.

"So, how did you discover the body?" He questions.

"I was walking home from work and I needed a break, so I decided to sit down in the alley. Then this little one," I motion to Lilly by bouncing her a little, making her giggle, "came over to me with her dog." We both look down and see the Staffordshire Bull Terrier circling around my feet and barking. I look back up at the cop. "I picked her up and decided to look farther into the alleyway to see if her parents were there. That's when I found the body. I assume it's her mother."

He finishes writing things down when he looks up at me.

"You seem awfully calm for someone who just discovered a dead body."

I sigh and hug Lilly closer to my chest. "Honestly, I'm so emotionally drained right now, I don't think anything can faze me at this point."

"May I ask why?"

"Yeah, of course. My girlfriend of three years broke up with me a couple months ago. Told me that she'd been cheating on me since day one. Even though I told her how sensitive to that sort of thing I am. And before that, my parents practically disowned me when I told them I'm a YouTuber and that I love cosplay. And, to top it all off, a couple of days ago, I got a call saying that they'd been in a car accident and neither of them survived." It's silent for a minute. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"No, that's fine. That was actually very insightful."

"Well, I'm glad you found some use out of my rambling." I notice Lilly is starting to get a little fussy, so I bounce her up and down a bit until she starts laughing again.

"What do you think I should do with her?" I ask.

"Well, there's only one thing you can do. As far as we know, she's still got a father. If she has no other relatives or they don't want her, then you could either hand her over to CPS and they'd either put her in an orphanage or a foster home, or you could adopt her, which usually is a couple month long process."

I sigh. "If and when you find her relatives, could I be there with you? In the half hour she's been with me, I've grown quite fond of her. I would just like to say goodbye."

He nods. "Of course. You deserve as much." He writes something down. "You know what, I'll do you one better. I'll let CPS know that if you wish, you may be the foster parent for the little one until relatives are found."

I smile. "How does that sound, Lilly?" She giggles and nods her head.

The cop looks at me confused, yet with a smile.

"I asked what her name is, and she said, Lilly."

"Well then. I'll go let CPS know the details. I'll see you later..."

"Wesley Johnson, but I just go by Wes."

He smiled again. "Well, I'll see you later, Wes." He hands me a business card. "Here's my card. Expect a call. Thank you, and goodbye."

"Goodbye." I pick up Lilly's hand and wave. "Bye, bye."

"Bye, bye." The officer makes his way to his car, then abruptly stops and turns around. "Hey, would you like a ride home?"

I look at Lilly, then to the officer. "That would be much appreciated." I walk over to the car as the officer opens the back right passenger side door. The dog, which I'm gonna call Alley, hops into the back seat and curls up on the seats. I smile and get in the front, setting Lilly on my lap. I buckle my seat belt, then hug her to my chest once more. I close the door as Officer Corn gets in the driver's seat. He puts the key in the ignition and starts driving.