Chapter Twelve

Riley sat in the cold room and cried. She sat on the bed in the corner and just let the tears flow. The angry tears at Lyla, the tears of fear against Lyla and Caleb, the tears of missing her family, friends, and Auston. 

She was scared Auston stopped caring, he didn't even want to find her anymore, he didn't want her anymore. 

She wanted him, she wanted to go to one of his games, not just watch it on the tv, she wanted to see Steph again and go to games with her specifically.  Even if Steph would make fun of Riley the whole time. 

Riley then started crying because of how much school she was missing, and how far behind she would be. She was then stressed about that.

She did try to push that to the side though, focus on one thing more than the others. 

"Are you seriously doing math homework right now?" Steph asked Riley, laughing, as she was trying to do her University Quadratics and Functions homework at the Toronto Maple Leafs home game.

"Yes, it needs to be finished by tomorrow and Auston would kill me if I didn't come for this."  The two sat in our of the suite's with the other players' girlfriends, for game three of the playoffs versus the Boston Bruins. 

"Can't you just try and do it during the intermissions?" Sydney asked. Riley shook her head.

"There's too much, I'm paying attention though." Riley defended herself, still smiling at her friends disbelief. 

"Okay it's the end of the second, what's the score and who scored the Leafs' goals? Without looking at the scoreboard." Lexi asked, and Steph and Sydney blocked her way of seeing the board. Riley waited, thinking.

"Uhh, it's 3-2 for the Leafs and Patty scored, James scored, and.." She couldn't remember, no name was coming to her mind. The girls around her shook their heads. 

"Your boyfriend!" Madison, Lexi, Steph, Sydney, Christina, and Lucy all yelled. Riley's eyes went wide, immediately feeling terrible, her hand flying up to her face covering her now wide open mouth. 

"No he didn't."  She said softly, feeling terrible. The girls all laughed and nodded. 

"Yeah he scored the third goal sweetheart." Christina said smiling, trying not to laugh, but putting an arm around Riley's shoulder.

"Shit now I just feel bad. Please don't tell him, any of you because that'll be worse than me not coming. Does anyone know where I can find the video because I know he'll ask about it." Riley said, trying to make it up to them even.

"It's on Sportnet probably." Madison answered. Riley grabbed her phone and went onto Sportsnet and saw the video, laughing almost about how tired her boyfriend looked, and how good the goal actually was. 

"Feel better?" Steph asked, laughing. Riley nodded and went back to her homework, putting her phone down beside her binder. The girls walked away and laughed a little to themselves. Sydney and Steph came back with a plate from the suite food, filled with some popcorn, a slice of pizza, and a special Auston Matthews jersey cookie, and placed the plate in front of Riley. Steph had her phone out and was filming Sydney putting the plate down beside the binder, zooming in on the work Riley was doing, and facing the camera to Riley.

"The grind never stops, kids." She said, causing Syd and Riley to laugh, as Steph posted the video to her Instagram story. 

"I mean thanks for the food, but not thanks to exposing me." Riley said. Steph smiled and flipped her hair jokingly, sitting back down beside Riley, and Syd sitting beside her, the third period starting almost right after, and the only other goal to happen in the period was another Patty Marleau goal. 

"Are you and Auston coming to the dinner?" Molly asked as Riley placed her binder and notepad into her purse as the game ended. 

"Yeah, he wasn't going to let me go home and make him go to the dinner alone." Riley answered. 

"Good, and you're not bringing your homework out at the restaurant, kid."  Christina butted in. 

"Nah, we're all good, I just finished it, with some perfect timing if I do say so myself."  Riley said sarcastically. 

"Bro you missed an entire game pretty much, and didn't even realize that your own boyfriend scored. Perfect timing would be finishing it before you left." Alannah sassed to Riley.

"Hey, at least I showed up to the game." 

"Only because Auston would kill you if you didn't!" Steph laughed out, grabbing her purse as well. "So would we to be honest, if all of us are here and you're not, that's not okay girl." 

"Fuck freshman year honestly, it doesn't even matter that much I hated it." Lexi said as the girls all left their suite. 

"Ryerson, right?" Sydney asked, Riley nodded.

"Western is 100% better!" Steph said skipping past them and down the hall to the stairs, causing Syd, Lexi, and Riley to laugh. Sydney was in the middle of the three and interlocked their arms as they walked down the hall, all with their matching jean jackets with their boyfriends last name and numbers on the back. 

"I love you guys." Lexi said, leaning her head on Sydney's shoulder.

"I love you too." Syd and Riley said in unison as they made it to the stairs, unlocking their arms and going down behind each other. Madison caught up with the three girls, and Steph finally slowed down at the bottom of the stairs. The girls waited around the arena for the boys to finish up.

"Were you seriously doing your math during the game, Riley?" The familiar voice of her boyfriend called from down the hallway behind her. 

"Uhhh, no?"  She said, her back still facing Auston. 

"Don't lie I literally saw it on Steph's Instagram story." Auston said. Riley thought he was mad, just the tone of his voice, but he was smiling, trying not to laugh, but he did mean to maker her think he was mad. The girls around her looked at her with sympathy. Auston gave the other girls a little wink to play along with his game.

"We told you not to do it and to pay attention to the game." Christina said, giving Riley a disapproving parental look. Auston stood behind Riley and put two hands on her waist, spinning her around to see the smile on his face. 

"Oh my god I hate you, that scared me so much." Riley said, now the two of them laughing, as she leaned into him and rested her head against his chest. Auston wrapped his arms around her smaller body and just laughed to himself, feeling very proud.

"Why did it scare you?" He asked, as the other boys made their way over to their girlfriends.

"'Cause I thought you were actually mad at me." Riley laughed out.

"Nah, I could never be mad at you, especially for trying to pass your course." Riley let out a breathe that she didn't know she was keeping in our, causing Auston to chuckle a little as he felt it. The entire group walked down to a restaurant down the street from the ACC.

"Fuck I wish I was there right now, instead of here." Riley whispered out to herself, as the tears kept flowing down her cheeks.