Chapter Nine

"Auston?" His older sister Alex asked him. Auston looked up from his phone at his older sister.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"I found this last week at home in Arizona and I thought you might want it." She said. She looked cautious. She handed him a bag filled with Riley's things. There was a phone case, a swim suit, a toothbrush, and a purple crop top with a rose that would be places on the heart. Auston took the shirt out and brought it up to his face, taking in the smell, holding his breath for a few seconds and then letting it out. He did that three times and then placed the shirt back in the back. Auston stood up from his place on the couch and gave his sister a hug. 

"Thank you, Alex." He said. Alex nodded and sat back down beside him. His whole family was there. They were still in Toronto in support for Auston, all of them sitting in Auston's apartment living room. "Do you guys remember the first time I brought Riley to meet you?" Auston asked.

"Are you sure you wanna remember that?" Brian asked, Auston only nodded.

"The entire flight to Scottsdale she was shaking nervously and freaking out, it was so adorable." Auston smiled to himself.

"Auston come on, do we really have to see them first? Can we not like go to the pool or go golfing like you wanted to?" Riley begged as they got off of the flight, and went to go collect their baggage. 

"Nope, you agreed to meeting them first, and they're going to be waiting." Auston said. He loved to get her riled up, get her nervous or excited. No matter what it as, she would hold his hand tightly and he just loved the feeling of her hand in his. 

Riley just sighed, and of course, grabbed Auston's hand, intertwining their fingers as they waited for their bags to come around. 

"Nervous?" He asked after a minutes or so.

"No, not at all." Riley answered very sarcastically. Auston chuckled at her and pulled her in towards him. He placed a kiss on the top of her head, only causing Riley to smile into his chest. Their bags came around and they grabbed the two suit cases and started walking to the airport exits. Auston had already ordered them and Uber, and they just waited silently, Riley's knee bobbing up and down as she kept getting more and more nervous. It didn't take much longer for the Uber to show up, and the two to get in the car. 

"You'll be fine, they'll love you." Auston whispered to Riley, his lips in her hair, kissing her temple. It took a 25 minute drive to get to Auston's family's house. They got out of the car, the warm wind hitting Riley's face, blowing her hair across her face and into Auston's, only causing Auston to laugh. The two got their bags out of the trunk and thanked the driver. Once the driver went away, Auston grabbed his suit case handle in one hand, and Riley's hand in the other, dragging them both up the stairs to the front of the house. 

"Ready?" He asked. Riley shook her head quickly.

"No. Not at all, but let's do this."  Riley said, right away regretting it. 

"I love you." He said softly, she just hummed in response, too nervous to say anything else. Auston knocked on the front door three times, and immediately there was shuffling heard from inside. 

"I was thinking--" Riley was cut off by the door opening and Auston's mom standing there, with a smile on her face. 

"Papi!" She exclaimed, pulling her son into a tight hug. Auston let go of his bag and Riley's hand, giving his mother a proper hug. "How are you my boy?" She asked, still smiling uncontrollably. 

"I'm good mama, how are you?" He asked.

"Wonderful now that you're here." The two let go of each other, and Ema looked at Riley, beginning to smile again. "And you must be Riley. Oh you're so much more gorgeous than in the pictures." Ema pulled Riley into a hug as well. 

"Hi Mrs. Matthews." Riley said happily. 

"Oh sweetheart, call me Ema." She said. They let go of their hug as well, and Ema pulled them into the house. "Come in, come in. Alex! Bre! Brian! Auston and Riley are here!" She called out, and three pairs of footsteps started running down the stairwell. 

"Auston!" Alex and Breyana said in unison, as they came over to hug their brother. 

"Hey girls, how are you?" He asked.

"Great how are you?" Alex asked.

"Good, good." Auston let go of his sisters, and walked over to his dad. Giving him a hug too. 

"Hey son." Brian said. Riley looked over at Auston with his family in awe, as Auston and his dad continued to catch up. She just smiled at the love of her life with his family. 

"And everyone, this is my girlfriend, Riley." Auston said, walking back over to her, putting an arm around her waist, and kissing the top of her head. Auston smiled as he looked down at her. 

"Hi." Riley said softly, but happily. There was a small silence.

"Welcome to the family, Riley." Brian said, walking over to Riley and pulling her into a hug. "Well, we were just about to start the barbecue, people are going to be showing up soon." He said after pulling away, one hand on Auston's shoulder and the other on Riley's. 

"I think Riley and I are gonna take the bags upstairs and I'll show her around the house real quick, we'll be out soon." Auston said. His mother and father nodded, all four of them went to the kitchen to grab paper plates and plastic cups and went to the backyard. Auston took both bags in his hands as he started to walk towards the stairs.

"I can take my bag, Aus, I'm not incapable." Riley said. 

"I want to make it look like I'm a good boyfriend to my family." Auston said as they went up the stairs. 

"But you are a good boyfriend." Riley told him as they got up the stairs.

"But they don't see that yet. They only saw me last summer with Jordyn and after we broke up they began to think that I was a bad boyfriend." 

"What even happened with you two?" Riley asked as they got to Auston's old room. 

"She cheated on me, said I cheated on her." Auston said simply. "Well, this is my old room, it's not much--"

"But it was yours, so it's great." Riley cut him off. "I love you, baby." Auston opened his arm and Riley gave him a side hug, he moved her around him so it was completely proper, tight, and he they both felt safe. 

"I love you more, baby." Auston whispered against the top of her head. The two heard an iPhone camera go off, and broke apart, looking at the door and seeing Breyana with her phone out.

"Sorry I couldn't help it. Uhm, mom wants to know if you guys would rather a burger or hot dog?" 

"Burger." Auston said.

"Yeah burger too please." Riley agreed. Bre nodded and walked down the hall, down the stairs and to the backyard. 

"Okay so this is where we'll be sleeping for the next few days, and I'll show you the rest of the house before Alex comes up here and claims we're having sex." The two laughed slightly and walked out of the room. 

It only took Auston about 5-10 minutes to show Riley the house, and where everything is, what room to not go into because that's his dad's study, and then the backyard, where some guests had already shown up.

"Okay I knew I was meeting your family but I didn't think it was going to be all of your childhood friends." Riley whispered, still smiling so she wouldn't seem too upset.

"I know, I didn't even know they were doing this big surprise until a couple weeks ago." Auston whispered back as a childhood hockey teammate came up to him. 

Authors note!!

I actually wanna die guys we didn't have an English exam and I failed the course with a 44% so that's great.

Anyway, the next chapter is gonna be a continuation on this trip cuz I had the cutest idea for Alex and Bre and Riley bonding and ahh I'm excited to write it. Pretty sure the next chapter after that is gonna be from Riley's side of the story