Chapter Three

Auston sat in his room at home just staring at a plain white wall with a blank stare. He didn't want to stand up, because he knew that that would bring him one step closer to his fear right now. He didn't want to go to the game, but he knew deep down that he couldn't miss anymore, without an injury or a sickness. He didn't want to seem like he was okay, because he really wasn't. He hadn't been himself for the past three weeks. The worst part is, there had been no word about finding Riley, or Caleb. Auston felt as if nothing he ever knew and wanted was gone, and he could never get that back.

It took Auston a few tries but eventually he made it to the door of his car. He opened it slowly and sat in it, waiting to start it. He did after what felt like 10 minutes for him. As he turned on his car he turned off the radio, not in the mood to hear anything, but the hum of his own car driving down the hopefully, but not likely, calm roads. As Auston drove down the road they were calmer than he originally thought, especially seeing as there was a game tonight. He looked out the windshield as small raindrops started to fall lightly. As the rain started to pick up he turned the wipers on, staring blankly. As he came to a stop he turned the car off and took a slow, deep breath. He could see the other players getting out of their cars and going into the arena with their bags, laughing with each other and having a good time, but he just couldn't bring himself to it. He wanted to, he wanted everything to get back to normal, well, as normal as it could've been without her. He looked in the rear-view mirror and stared for a moment.

"How much worse can life get, might as well just go in there." He got out of his car and grabbed his hockey bag from the trunk, locking his vehicle. Auston pulled out his phone from his back pocket and clicked the home button to look at one of the last pictures of him and Riley that was ever taken. He walked into the building, putting the phone back in his pocket and walked straight to the locker room, no pit stops, nothing. He was quiet the entire time and off his game the whole practice.

"Auston, she could still be alive, make this game for her. You can do this." Mitch told him, putting an arm around Auston's shoulder.

"How can I? I need to know she's safe for me to be even mediocre at what I do. Mike's gonna hate me tonight." Auston ran a hand through his hair as the two sat in two of the seats in the arena.

"No he won't. He knows what you're going through, he knows you haven't healed, and he knows what she meant to you. To be honest everyone's game has been off for the past three weeks. We were all close to her. Obviously not as close as you two were, but we all loved her. She's a part of our family and we all hope we get her back." Mitch said. He looked down at his hands.

"It's really hard for you and Steph too, I know. Steph was her best friend."

"Is. She is her best friend. She's still alive, Auston."

"Maybe. I hope so." Auston said. His best friend had never seen him so sad. He'd never seen him so...depressed, he didn't know what to do. Auston hadn't done anything to deserve this in his life and Mitch knew that. Riley didn't deserve this.

The truth is, Mitch didn't really believe Riley was still alive either, he had grown up with her, he was with her through Caleb and Mitch knew what he was capable of. He was scared for Riley. Hell, he was terrified. He was scared that Caleb might hurt her, or kill her, or do unspeakable things to her. Mitch didn't want to tell Auston what Caleb had done to her, if he didn't already know, it could put him in an even worse state. They were both broken down. Mitch's phone started to ring and he excused himself from Auston.

"Marner." He answered.

"Hello, this is the Toronto police department we have some news about Riley Jackson. We would like you, Auston Matthews, Emma Davis, and Stephanie LaChance to come in as soon as possible, and is that means it's after your game tonight then so be it, we'll all still be here, waiting." The cop said.

"Okay, that's when we'll come, after the game." Mitch told the cop.

"Thank you, we'll see you then." Mitch hung up and texted Emma telling her to meet at the ACC at around 9:30 that the cops want to see them all. Mitch walked back to Auston and put his hand on Auston's shoulder.

"We're gonna go talk to the cops after the game, and they want you there." Mitch told Auston. Auston nodded, choking back tears, he knew right well that it was about Riley, whether it be they found her body or what, but he knew he'd be even more upset then he'd ever been before. They soon went down to get ready for their game, and warm-up. He got changed quietly, and he could feel the tension in the room. There was a lot riding on the game tonight, and he knows that he can't blow the game for them, but how can he not when he can't focus on anything else?