37

I spend three days unable to sleep in any way, for Julie's view jumps into my view every time I shut my eyes. I get no news about her. I must believe in what I have done. It is the Flare, and in a way or another, she was going to go past the Gone one way or another. The day was only delayed. Of course, she couldn't have spent her whole life sleeping and under Bless. I have done the right choice.

My lessons give me some distraction. I spend three fourth of my days either with teachers or studying at home and doing researches. I have made researches in general about different diseases and how humans were able to cure them through the years. I read, for instance, about the Black Death that wiped out about two thirds of Europe during its break out. It's funny how people responded to this bacterial disease, blaming it on each other or witchcraft.

What's painful is how some people used others fear for their own gain. I couldn't but think of WICKED while reading, spreading their term that WICKED is good, gathering supporters from all the world, and sucking the world's riches in the name of saving humanity. It's funny how history should always repeat itself.

I am glad to say that I have passed my first set of quizzes in math and chemistry. It was a surprise by all means, for I thought I was likely going to fail them. When I got my result, I felt something I probably hadn't felt since weeks: happiness, pride, glory. I felt I was closer to whatever I wanted to do. I had a reason to go on.

By the end of the first week after Julie's incident, I get a routine. First, I wake up at 7:30 in the morning and run through the neighborhood. That gets followed by showering and breakfast. When the clock hits 8:45, I dress to deliver Lennie to her lessons in the headquarters and then follow to mine in the same building. The half an hour break after three hours of studying to eat my sandwich is probably one of the best parts of the day before returning to studying again. At 3:30, my lessons end and it's home time for both me and Len. Back home, I take a nap before thinking of doing anything else. After I wake up an hour later, I study until it's time to prepare dinner. Mother arrives at five, and we share the meal while discussing our day. After washing the dishes, I finish studying and read a book or watch a movie with Lennie. When it strikes 11, it's bed time.

Sometimes after my classes, I visit Julie and Teresa to see how they've become. Nothing has changed about them. No signs appear on Julie. Her state is constant since day one. Mother says she's doing well already, and that if there was anything wrong, it would've shown. I try to believe as I watch her thick lashes resting still on her pale cheeks.

As for Teresa, she hasn't been able through this whole period to do anything except for moving her lids. When I visit her, I usually find her sleeping. If not so, I find doctors asking her questions, telling her to blink once for 'yes' and twice for 'no.' She hasn't been able to give them any fully useful answer. I even tried asking her in the same method, but no fruit. Zaher says that the trauma on her head had been very strong that she might never fully recover from it; however, like always, he just tells me to pray. Sometimes, I set with her and try to talk like old friends. I would even sometimes feed her soup; however, she never gives me any response.

Day.

After day.

After day.

When we get to Friday, I feel it like a holiday. There's no need for sleeping early, studying all day, or any of those stuff. It was a bless, especially that I felt my brain was about to explode, and I believe my crank side doesn't have to do with that.

On Friday night, Neal takes me out to a gathering for his friends. I almost thought I won't be able to make it, but mother finally agreed. I felt my heart squeezing for going out despite Julie, Teresa, and the rest of my friend's state, but Neal convinced me that I especially need to go out to have a break from that air.

I thought the gathering would be like our bonfire in the Glade, but... am not a racist or bragging, but our bonfires were more fun... maybe because I had my friends with them. The men here mainly discussed their lives and their plans. A group were playing cards, while others were enjoying arm-wrestling. Neal won twice in that, and I once. I was mostly quiet, only watching. There weren't any wrong things in the place. I think I might had just enjoyed the night for a change; however, I bet I'd have enjoyed more lying in bed with a book or completing my Tv series.

"You need a bit of socializing, lad," Neal told me while he was walking me home. "You need to crack out of your shell."

"I'll try."

...

On Saturday, I sit in my bed after breakfast. I take out my book and continue reading. This is my second book until now. I read quietly in bed while having my cup of tea. It's all peaceful and placid until mother knocks the door hastily.

"Newt, open the door. It's important," she calls. I rise quickly and open the door for her. "What is it?" I ask.

She looks at me, and her eyes tell me everything. "What happened to Julie?" I ask her slowly, trying to keep my nerves down.