18

Note: this chapter might have little The Fever Code spoiler.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard. This's Neal Jones from the cabin. Time's 5:30 AM. Temperature is 15C'. Our flight to WICKED's base is going to last three hours and half. We hope you'll have a safe journey. Thank you."

The door shuts. The sky is purple out, and it's cold. Of course, this is not my first time in a Berg, and I'm not afraid of it. My heart sinks in takeoff, but the feeling flies quickly.

After what Neal told me yesterday, I stayed quiet and didn't talk. Even despite being tired when I went back to my room, I hardly slept. I couldn't. I have triggered this all. I've thought of the possibility that Neal's lying to drive my emotions to join them and trust them, but it isn't possible. No one really knows the story. The Griever's story has acted as a cover, and it's what I and Alby have told everyone; Alby is dead.

I remember seeing the beetle-blades watching me that day, sticking close and following me. I really never've thought of it before, that someone might actually had been watching with a burning blood instead of a cold one, done with the hell we're in. Whether I like it or not, I'm alive, walking, well, and now likely heading to my friends because of some WICKED's members.

I recall the words I had told the beetle-blades before I jumped, and I remember the ones I've told Dr. Whitman two days ago. She- they, have offered me everything they could do, and I just answered like a bugging kid! No, I shouldn't be weakening, but is forgiveness a weakness?

Almost everyone has fallen asleep like some drug has been fumed. There's about twenty five people in this part, counting Lennie and Dr. Whitman. I'm sitting between two men who have fallen like babies few minutes after the takeoff. I find Dr. Whitman sitting in a far corner with Lennie laying her head in her mother's lab. She brushes her hair to fall asleep.

After the flight settles, I take off my seat belt and head towards them. Dr. Whitman is talking in a soft voice barely heard, calm and queerly warm that it gives me a warm shiver.

"We'll be there soon, Len, and Lezzy'll be there too, and we'll be together as you've always dreamed: safe and sound, nothing to part us ever again. You'll also meet the kids you've always wanted to: Thomas, Minho, Teresa, Harriet, Aris, Frypan. All of them. But try not to run into them like a crank, or they might run for their lives!"

Lennie smiles. "I don't promise you, mommy," she answers with a sleepy voice. Dr. Whitman chuckles. She then looks up at me at me and signs me to come and sit next to them. "Couldn't sleep like the rest?" she asks.

"Not sleepy," I answer. I recognize most of the names she mentions to Lennie. I think I should be there for safety if Lennie will runs into Minho like a crank- for her own safety.

"She knows us?" I laugh.

"She lives you," Dr. Whitman laughs. Lennie has almost fallen asleep, but she sighs a 'by the way, I'm here,' sigh.

"She has liked watching the Glades and everything you do in there: your talking, working, walking, even dressing! A pair of lovely olive trainers had been lost to the mud because of that."

I laugh. I never thought anyone found us interesting other than the doctors for their Variables. I think it's nice now to hear our story from someone who wasn't concerned about the mechanism of the human brain fighting a bloody virus.

"Well, can't help but say I miss that place too," I sigh. Dr. Whitman frowns a little. "Have many made it out?" she asks.

"Not really," I answer dryly. I remember banishing Ben, Alby getting stung by Grievers, Chuck jumping in front of Thomas, the kids whose heads got turned into metal balls, the ones fried in lightning, the ones consumed by cranks and bulbs creatures. And, and, and. I've known each one of them by person, and now I can only mention them as names. I pray again that the little left aren't now only names too.

"Loss hurts, but it never means the end, Newt," Dr. Whitman whispers. "It can be the reason to start and turn into a white page."

"But some losses you can't just let go."

"It feels so," she whispers in a metallic voice. She stays silent for a long while. I recall the first part of her words with Lennie, being 'never parted again.'

"Who's Lezzy?" I suddenly ask.

Dr. Whitman loses herself for a while and stares at her horizon as if in a shock. Her face gets pale. When I'm about to repeat the question, she answers with her mind still unconscious, "Lennie's sister."

"And what's she doing in WICKED? Is she-?"

"-She's a subject in group B. You'd know her more as Sonya," she answers dryly.

My eyes widen in shock. Sonya?! I remember bits about her. She's a strong warrior in group B. I remember talking to her once or twice. I think I now understand why Dr. Whitman and Lennie's looks felt familiar. Dr. Whitman turns to me with a cold smile and hisses, "You're wondering how the daughter of a WICKED employee ended up a subject?"

"I can't really relate logic to WICKED."

She frowns. "It's a long story."

"And we've got three hours," I answer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okayyy! For anyone who has read TFC, you know what being Sonya's sister also means. I hope you've liked this chapter. If you did, please consider giving it a vote, and I'll be pleased to hear your feedback. What do you think is the story of Lezzy/ Sonya. And... do you think Lennie has any other family members present ;)

Gm.