14

Dr. Whitman then comes with Lennie and sits on the bench between me and her daughter. She crosses an arm on her daughter's shoulder, leaving the other in her lap clenching her trousers. Excitedly, Lennie tells her all that happened in her day: her time record in critical thinking, her analysis for natural phenomena, her full mark in the history exam, and so on. All along that, Dr. Whitman gives her comments and goes in conversations about different topics. Fortunately, I understand some of what they say.

I pretend that I am watching the setting of the sun while listening. There is no one here but the three of us. I stay quiet for a long time that my lips stick to each other. Why am I still here then? I, myself, can't answer this question. I feel disgusted for a while, thinking how WICKED had treated us, orphaned kids, as lab rats. And yet, I feel something calming while listening to this mother-daughter conversation, their laughs, and their arguments. Discussions with the shanks were fun, of course, and they always helped after a long day; however, family conversations do have a different taste, and this taste, I wish to try at least once in my life.

I try to squeeze my mind to remember anything about my past before WICKED: my family, mother, father, perhaps a brother or a sister, but nothing comes out. In fact, it feels as if every time I get closer to finding this part of my memory that I'm missing, the farther it gets lost, as if it never wants to be found.

"It's six thirty, kids," Dr. Whitman's comment while she looks at her watch suddenly breaks. "It's almost dinner time."

I realize that it's time for me to slip away. I stand up and tell them that I have to go now. Lennie looks at me from under her mother's tight arm and asks in an innocent voice, "Newt, will you be coming to dinner tonight?"

I tighten my lips, trying to find an answer. Dr. Whitman's voice suddenly breaks again, "Newt might still need some rest, Len. If he finds himself alright, he shall come. Right, Newt?"

I nod. "I hope you will," Lennie then adds. Both of them rise then and we go together to the elevator. Dr. Whitman presses my floor and we go down. When we reach my floor, Dr. Whitman holds the door open for me and tells me before I leave, "Just if you plan to come, make sure to dress well." After that, the elevator door's closes.

When I enter my room, I see that the clock shows 6:45. A bag is hanged on the closet. When I open it, I find a black suit with an ironed, white shirt and a black neck bow. I sit on the bed for a long while, trying to make up my mind. After that, I go to the closet and, instead of fetching my pajamas, I grab out the suit.

...

In the restaurant downstairs, I find lots of people grouped on spreed tables. I find Dr. Whitman formally dressed and standing by the entrance, talking with a woman. When she sees me, she smiles a wide smile, and her eyes glisten. She whispers something to the woman, and she goes in. "Glad you've come, my dear," she says in a warm voice. She then invites me in. When I enter, suddenly everyone stands up and starts clapping.

"Welcome here, kid," she then whispers for me as she drapes her arm across my shoulder. Lennie comes running to me and hugs what she reaches. Dr. Whitman then guides me to her table. After we sit, many men and women come to welcome me, ask about my health, and how I'm feeling now. They all end their conversations with, "You should be proud of him, Sorcha," or, "He's quite the one, Whitman." I find it weird: all this fuzz about me, and I being pictured almost as a superhero. I feel awkward the whole night. I feel welcomed here, secure maybe, home, I might say; however, I still feel that something, a part of me that's vital to live, is missing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!! Thanks for the 100 reads<3 I really would like to thank you all who have been reading and supporting SUPERSTES. This all means a lot. The story is getting bloody exciting!! Prepare your tissue box for the next chapter. A tiny spoiler: something every Newt's fan wishes for shall happen in the next chapter. I hope you will like it!

GM.