30

"Julie? Julie? What the hell did you do to her?!" I yell as Four tries to pull me from her. I don't even bother to hide the fact of my watering eyes.

"She'll be fine in five minutes," he returns, using all the power in his masculine arms to try to hold me. "You've to thank God we found you at the right moment. Everyone is out looking for you. What the hell were you thinking of?!"

"Do I look like I am five to you? Leave me the hell alone!"

"Newt, we were just worried that-" Tris starts.

"Well, I don't need you shucking worried about me. Leave me in the bloody hell I'm in and I'll be fine."

"Newt, if you don't quit this now- Tris, get the syringe."

I scream more, try to pull out of them. A filled syringe shines in my view. When they're just to empty its components in my blood, two people appear in the entrance. "Leave him," Dr. Whitman says in a firm, authoritative voice. Finally, Four lets off my arms and drops me on the floor.

"Newt," she starts in her metallic, cold voice. "First, we'll not talk about how you sneaked out like thieves and stole from the equipment."

"Sorry for escaping your asylum then," I yell.

"Well, if you hadn't chosen to be crazy, you wouldn't have needed to be in this asylum!" she returns. "You exactly did what you were exactly told not to do. What do you think you were doing?!" she exclaims.

I stand and look at her, letting all my disgust and despise pour in my voice and look. "Well, is it too much if I had a moment out of your pit? I know everything."

"We were trying to help you, Newt, from exactly doing something like this," she starts.

"Because you think I'm just a crank. Don't you?" I laugh back. "You only see me as a crank, don't you? You believe I can't think or do anything on my own, just as if I were a crazy brat you should always keep an eye on."

The words leave her astounded. I enjoy her freeze and smirk. "This was your last straw, Newt," she replies with her cold voice. "The helicopter is coming now and will take you back home. I don't want to hear any other word from you."

"If you don't want me then why did you let me live?! Why do you even bother to have a crank that only gets you headaches. Release me!"

"Newt, what Sorcha is trying to say is that-"

"Thank you, Neal," I answer. "You're no better than her. I heard every word you two said about me. All of you are just seeing me as a jacked head. Do you also want to spoon-feed me?"

"What did you hear?" Dr. Whitman tries to keep down her anger. I don't need light to see that she is trying to keep her fists down.

"I heard everything. Every single word you said," I answer. "If you all find me a burden, I'm glad to let myself off you. Thank you for everything you've done. And thank you for your love, mom. Just, please, for Julie, just leave her alone."

I go past them out. Dr. Whitman, for I still can't bear to call her mom, stays frozen cold in her place. Neal says something, calls me, maybe, but I don't hear him. I run out to the fresh, cold air. Few people call my name, but I ignore them and run as far as I can. My old running blood rushes through. I run fast so I won't hear anything anyone says. I don't feel the pain of anything. I just run until I start hearing the sound of the sea loud. I look few meters after my feet and find the edge dropping sharp into the rushing waves. I stop and look around, but I find nobody. The sound of waves reminds me with the sound of wings, flying, freedom.

I take a step. Another step. The moon is glistening up, full and beautiful like a pearl. The stars are beautiful too. The wind gives gentle pushes like soft hands. I take a last smile.

"ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?" I call with all the air my lungs have. I let a mad laugh out with it, my last grasp of sanity. I take another step.

I close my eyes, but instead of taking the final step, I let my boots sink in the damp grass, and I drop to my knees.

A set of heavy arms tightens around me and pulls me back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've liked this chapter, please consider giving a vote and telling me your opinions in the comments. In your opinion, who do you think is the one who pulls Newt back on the cliff?

Thanks for reading so far. See you soon, Gladers.

GM