24

"But how? Where? How did you find her? Why is she like that? Won't anyone give me any bloody answers?"

I turn to the doctors whose faces have all turned pale and grave. Dr. Whitman then enters. "Newt, moment please?" She grabs me out to another tent where we sit alone. She takes a seat and invites me, but I refuse. Her calmness annoys me. "Will you just tell me what the shuck I have just seen in there?" I question her.

"We've found her under the ruin," she answers calmly. "Apparently, a big chunk of the wall had fallen over her during the explosion, for she's been knocked unconscious due to a strong hit on the back of her head. We haven't checked her fully yet, but we've got our expectations. She must have been a strong girl to survive."

"But did you find any bloody thing else? Any trace? Thomas? Minho? Brenda? Frypan? Jorge? I anyone?"

"We haven't fully searched the place yet, Newt, but there are still no clues to any of them. They might have been trapped in-"

"Or found a route to escape," I answer immediately. "We have survived a bloody Maze and a bloody Scorch. They must have found a bloody way to escape the explosion. I know it. Something in my bones tells me. They couldn't have just died in there. They always find a way to live. Always. Do you understand?"

Dr. Whitman looks at me with a gloomed look. "Newt, I understand that your friends mean a lot for you," she starts, "but you've got to understand that everything is possible. We're all trying our best."

I stay quiet while taking grasp of the situation. The idea then blares in my head. "Teresa. She must know something. I know Tommy wouldn't just leave her behind."

"Does she look for you like she can give any bloody answers, Newt?" Dr. Whitman asks me, raising her brows.

"Well, she isn't dead yet. She must know something. I'm sure! I'm going to talk-"

"Newt, will you just calm down now before you crack a vein?"

"Will you just... I am done with this place!" I yell at her. "Will you just for one bloody minute stop concerning about my own shucking health as if I were five? Will you?"

Dr. Whitman looks blown. "Newton, please, calm down. I don't think you even understand the risk of bringing you here. Our mission to find your friends doesn't put down the one for your own safety."

"Stop telling me to calm down! My friends are lost and we have no bloody idea where they might be or what had happened to them, and you are just telling me to calm down? I told you I don't even bloody care about myself."

"Well, that your friends are missing isn't my fault!" she yells back. "Does it look like there is anything we can do for them and we're putting it down? Answer me! Or you just want everyone cranking and flaring and going out their brains just like you, Newt?"

I freeze. Her face is read, and her breath is heavily. Her brows are knotted, and her teeth are stressed. Suddenly, she realizes what she has said. "Newt, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that-"

"I've heard what I need to hear," I answer her slowly, and then I walk out the tent.

"Newt. Come back here, now. Where are you going? Newt, will you just listen, please? Samuel!"

...

I go out the tent feeling barely able to stand. I go back to Teresa's tent, this time more slowly and quietly. "Did you find anything?" I ask them.

Dr. Zaher, who is one of the present doctors, keeps his look down at his work as he answers. "No improvement. She has got an internal bleeding in her brain. That rock was like a ton over her. She has also got few broken bones and-"

"Will she live?"

Dr. Zaher looks up at me with a gloomed look. "As doctors, we will try our best, yet a prayer is something she needs right now."

I look at her again. Her eyes are shut just like that day she came up in the box. Dr. Zaher then raises his head for a while and says with a smile, "Newt. You look yellow. Why don't you go back to the Berg? If we find anything new, we shall tell you."

"She's the last one ever," I murmur, and then Ileave the tent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you've liked this chapter! If so, please consider giving it a vote and leaving your feedback. How do you think Teresa got under that rock? And, do you think Dr. Whitman's words to Newt that he cranks over everything mean anything? Thanks for reading so far. See you soon, Gladers!

GM.