25

I find my way back to the Berg. I don't know what I feel. I stay firm. They've found Teresa, the betrayer. I still remember the time of her betrayal act over Tommy. Tommy wouldn't trust her then; however, if she is the only way to find Tommy now, I have to trust her.

When I reach the Berg, Lennie opens for me.

"Is there anything?" she asks me. "You're too early."

"No. Nothing. I just was tired and felt a need to come back," I answer as I take off my mask and she closes the door. She looks at me with a concerned look. "Would you like anything?" she asks. "You look bloody terrible."

I sit on a bench and sink my face in my hands. "Will you just give me one bloody moment, please?" I ask her, struggling to keep my tone low. She stays quiet for a while, and then she whispers softly, "I shall get you something to eat as you go and rest. Your room is the second to the left."

After she leaves, I follow where she leads me. A killing pain is blaring in my head. On my way, I find an open door. I find no one in, so I enter. The room is apparently the meeting room. A big round table with papers and folders scattered all about is in the center. At the head of the table is a chair with a laptop in front of it and a heavy bunch of folders; however, one folder is of a different color, which drags my attention.

WICKED FILE

SUBJECT A5: NEWTON W.

I quickly grab the file and hide it underneath my clothes, run quietly outside, and sneak to my room.

Two rows of bunker beds line the walls. There are about fourteen beds in the chamber along with three sinks. I choose a bed on the upper level, climb half way up to hide the file under the pillow, and then go to the closet to fetch something to wear. Suddenly, Lennie knocks on the door. "Hello, Newt," she calls. "I've got for you lemonade and sandwiches."

"Alright. Thank you," I answer as I pull down my shirt and open the door for her.

"Hey. I'm watching a movie. Would you like to join?"

I sneak a look at the file inside. "Ohm... Another time."

The corners of her lips fall.

"I promise I'll join you later. I just feel tired right now. Alright?"

She nods and leaves. I take my food, close the door, and take a breath of relieve. I climb to my bed and sit then open the thick file. The first page includes my personal, WICKED, information: my WICKED name, ID number, age, gender, the date I was delivered to WICKED, and so on. Apparently, I'm about to turn seventeen in few months.

The second page includes my WICKED health information: weight, height, blood type, DNA tests, and vaccinations. Finally, I place my finger on some information: my name is checked as a non-immune due to my lack of the Material, which is quite what Dr. Whitman told me. As Janson said, I was placed as a control rat for their experiment.

The ten pages after that show the results of tests that had been run over me before insertion in the Maze. It includes quite many graphs and numbers I don't exactly understand. A date drags my attention: the day WICKED did a surgery to place a machine in my brain about ten years ago. Ten years and that machine is still in my brain, marking me always with its very presence inside my head my past that will forever be marked in my history: the lab rat.

The few pages after that consider my insertion: the day I was inserted, my reaction, brain activity, and so on. I finally get to a part I understand in some way, for that's when my memory starts.

The last paper in this part includes my limp's incident. Surprisingly, there isn't much written there, barely the date and time, and underneath them the words that I had quoted before jumping. The page after this is a copy of Sorcha Whitman's resignation letter from WICKED.

I take that paper out to read later then go to the next page. There's no logo, and the title WICKED disappears. The papers include my present information: my data the day I was brought in here, the test results that prove my immunity, and most importantly, a report about the past week.

Subject A5, Newton W. was brought into the watch of Dr. Sorcha Whitman after an attempted gunshot incidence with his previous WICKED mate subject A2, Thomas. The original plan for Whitman of monitoring A5's mind was changed on spot by Eng. Neal Johns to switch roles and give A2 the memory of A5's death instead. A5 was then brought into the compound for treatment. As a remarked decrease in infection was noticed in A5's after the effect of the depressant drug in the shot, doctors decided to place A5 under a comma. In a period of 72 hours, A5 passed the danger level and his functions were all normal. To mark the end of the virus, A5's brain formed his last incidence with A2 where A2 used a gun to shoot A5.

Note: although A5 has been cured of the Flare, images of the killzone show areas of damage by the virus. The damage is minor; however, it can cause a permanent difficulty for the patient to control reactions in stressful situations. Thus, patient must avoid emotional trauma.