Queen of the Falcons

(From an early scroll in the Palace library.)

)

"It is said that the First Princess (who drove the invaders out of our valley) could take the form of that most formidable of all falcons, the gyr. How she learned this shift is uncertain, but she must have encountered gyrfalcons while hiding from her pursuers. The gyr is a tenacious, bold, and cunning hunter, and even the youngest birds show great courage in defending their nests high on cliffs in the icy northern mountains. An adult female is large enough to hunt swans, geese, and deer with ease."

The Palace library was partially destroyed in the attack. Now that the sorcerers occupy the palace and the royal house has fallen, sorcerers sometimes rummage through old scrolls in search of magical formulae to use in subduing their enemies. Other than that, the library is all but abandoned. Ghostly white forms of barn owls swoop in and out of the high, broken windows and use the tall stacks for their nests. They are the only white birds of prey in the valley now. The much larger and bolder gyrfalcon is never seen any longer. Instead, the air is often filled with the flight forms of sorcerers and their apprentices--ravens, crows, and hawks of greedy and devious nature.