Closing In

Sarai and Drift came upon Ubi halfway down the path to the river. He was standing in the darkness of the moon-shadow cast by an oak tree.

"Hey!" Drift whispered. "What are you—mfff." She couldn't finish her sentence. Ubi had put a hand over her mouth. He removed it slowly and pointed at the river.

There was a light bobbing toward them from upstream.

Sarai whispered, "His instinct was right. Someone's coming."

"What should we do?"

"Shh," Ubi hissed. "Watch the stars. Vultures circling. They must be tracking us by smell."

"Afraid so," Sarai whispered. "By the way, this oak tree reminds me of something. Drift, do you recall seeing any acorns in Summer's supplies?"

"Seriously?" Drift asked. "Well, not for a long time, but when I was little she had a box of acorns. She hid them away to keep me from playing with them."

"It's important. Can you remember where?" Sarai asked.

"I have no idea," Drift answered.

Ubi made an exasperated sound. "I don't know why people have so much trouble finding things," he complained in a whisper. "Come on." He pulled Drift toward the cottage. "I know where they are, but we better hurry. Those vultures have seen us now."

Sarai slipped her white cloak off. "I'll conceal your boat. Let's meet back at the house. I'll need those acorns." She hurried off down the dark path.

*

Ubi had run ahead. When Drift entered the cottage, the lantern was burning again, but there was no sign of Ubi. She called his name cautiously.

"Back here," he said.

Drift found him on the far side of Summer's curtained bed, standing in front of her chest of drawers. He looked puzzled. "What?" Drift asked.

"I thought I saw them here," he said, "but this thing wasn't here," he added, motioning toward the chest.

"Why in the land does Sarai want acorns? Shouldn't we be running away?"

"She's going to use them to help us," Ubi said. "Somehow. Here, give me a hand." They slid the chest away from the wall, and Ubi dropped to all fours and squeezed behind it. There was the sound of a latch clicking open and the creaking of rusty hinges. He backed out, cobwebs in his hair, and stood up. "See?"

Drift took the box from Ubi, blew dust off it, and lifted the lid. Inside were four very large acorns, still in their cups.

"They're from Summer's father," Sarai said from behind, making both of them jump. "Hand them to me." She pocketed the acorns, then examined a slip of paper that had been in the box with them. "Quercus Encapsulus," she read. "A very rare and special species," she added. "I'm glad Summer saved these. They may be the only acorns of their kind left in the entire land."

"Is this really the best time for a botany lesson?" Drift asked.

"They say the ancient mages brought this species from across the sea," Sarai continued. "There was a single specimen growing at the Palace, but it was struck by lightning long ago. The royal gardener saved some of its acorns. He happened to be Summer's father, so that's how..." Sarai stopped talking and cocked her ear. "Someone has landed on the roof. Let me borrow the lantern again. Oh, and take this. You'll need it to find the boat." She handed Drift a small pouch. "Arrowroot powder. It cuts through most concealments. Once you find your boat, just push off and float downstream."

"Aren't you coming?" Ubi asked.

"Change of plans. You'll need a diversion. Wait until I have their attention, then run like mad. I may not be able to hold them off for long."