Chapter Nine ~Yarrow

When Josie and Harry have been together for four months, she starts to think about telling Alex and Lou about their relationship.

Josie feels ready, she trusts Harry and even though they haven't said it to each other, she is sure of his love for her. Harry is perfect, he is always so concerned about her and her well-being. Also about Alex and Lou, when Lou fell during football practice a couple of weeks ago and hurt her foot, Harry had sent his girlfriend a countless amount of messages to make sure the little girl was okay.

He always makes sure Josie knows how much he enjoys being with her, how beautiful he thinks she is and how much he likes her.

Josie is spoiled rotten by Harry, multiple times a week he gives her flowers and he always makes sure the flowers symbolize some of the characteristics of their relationship. She was surprised and endeared when Harry bought her yarrow which symbolizes love. Harry was so nervous when he had called Katherine on her cell phone to ask if she could deliver the flowers and write a message and the meaning of the flowers on a card.

Katherine was silently rooting for Harry and Josie, she even had a ship name for them,'Jarry'. Josie thinks it's hilarious while Harry says it's awesome and sometimes uses it himself when he says something about the two of them.

Harry also makes the most romantic, surprising dates happen. Even knowing he can't dance, he books a three hour salsa lesson with a private teacher, because he knows how much Josie loves it so he just does it for her. He takes her out for lunch almost every day and brings her coffee on cold mornings when she has to open the shop early

This Saturday Josie has asked Katherine if she and the intern who recently started at the shop can manage the place alone. On Sunday Josie wants to tell the kids so to get them in an extra good mood she plans to spoil them a bit this weekend.

On Saturday they go to an animal park, the three of them walk around the park, looking at the animals and learn new things about them. Josie is so grateful for having kids who are smart and eager to learn. They laugh, play and have so much fun, especially at the petting zoo, not only do they get to cuddle the animals they also get the chance to help take care of them. Alex learns to milk a real cow and Lou is allowed to brush the dwarf rabbits.

But the best moment of the day is when they ride the ponies, their faces are covered with a big smiles and their eyes twinkle with happiness. They love it so much that they both want a pony for their birthdays this year. Josie laughs and tries to explain she has no time or money to buy and take care of a pony but she knows the last word about this isn't said. Her kids are stubborn and persistent and she knows they will ask their father to get them one. She will probably have to tell Ted about this, he has the habit of spoiling the kids too much, more than is good for them, and saying yes to them without thinking how it will affect them or their lives. She will have to make it clear that if he wants to be crazy and buy them a pony, he will have to take care of it without her help.

During the ride home they stop to eat at McDonald's, the kids favourite restaurant. And after they get home they all take a long shower before they all fall asleep together in Josie's bed.

On Sunday they sleep in till noon and after a breakfast/lunch with waffles, the kids watch Zootropolis for the thousand time, while Josie does some chores.

She is pushing away the moment to talk to the kids, not because she doesn't want to, she wants nothing more than telling them so they can take Harry with them on days like yesterday. But because she is nervous. She can't talk to Harry about it because she didn't tell him of her plans to tell the kids about their relationship, she knows he would be nervous all weekend and she wants to spare him of that.

After the movie the kids move to the playroom to play a game of Monopoly Junior.

After an hour, It's almost time to start making dinner and Josie knows she can't put it off any longer, she tells herself to get her shit together and just do it. She keeps an eye on when they are done so she can call them to talk.

"Alex, Lou, come sit with me for a minute please" Josie calls the kids when she hears they finished the game. She nervously takes a breath and rubs her clammy hands on her grey jeans while she tells herself it will be okay.

"We're coming mum. We're just putting everything back in the box!" Alex yells at his mother who now is in the kitchen getting some lemonade and the kids favourite chocolate chip cookies for during their talk.

When Josie walks back to the living room a happy Lou comes inside screaming

"I won, I won, I'm a winner!" followed by Alex who is rolling his eyes and mumbles something inaudible.

"Congratulations on your victory Loulou!" Josie high fives her daughter who is dancing around in circles.

"And I'm sorry you lost Alex, next time you will win." Alex comes stand next to Josie and she rubs his back. Alex shrugs his shoulders and takes a seat on the plushy light brown couch, his bare feet playing with the fabric of the soft brown carpet.

"Come on Lou, take a breath, calm down and come sit with us. I want to tell you something." The little girl looks at her mum with a curious expression on her face before she takes on last spin and jumps to the armchair across from Alex and Josie who now sits next to her son. Josie picks two cookies from the plate and gives one to each child, knowing she will keep their attention longer when they have something to nibble on while she talks.

"Please try not to spill chocolate or crumbs and listen to me for a moment." Both kids nod their head and thank their mother for the cookie.

"First of all, I hope you both know I love you very much. You are my bestest friends and the most important people in the universe to me." both kids smile bright hearing their mum's words. Of course they know all this but it's always nice to hear it again.

"Second, you maybe have noticed that I'm going out more, I haven't told you with whom I'm going out while Nel from next door is watching you at night." Josie takes a deep breath, she hopes this goes well.

"His name is Harry, I met him at my shop. He is two years older than me, so he is thirty-two years old. He is a very sweet, funny, friendly man, he is also a little cheeky and goofy. He is very good at making music, he plays the piano, guitar and the kazoo. He is very sporty, he goes to the gym almost every day." Josie tries to give some attention to the sides of Harry that will be appealing to her kids.

"I really like Harry and Harry likes me too. We love to spend time together and care a lot about each other." Alex is looking at Josie with a clear face, Lou is looking at the ground,with an expressionless face, she can't read their faces and has no idea how they will react. It's silent for a minute but than Alex face snaps up.

"This Harry, he is your special friend, like dad has Jonas?" he asks curiously. Josie nods her head. It's actually very smart off her boy to make the connection with his dad and his boyfriend, who he left Josie for.

"Yes Harry is my special friend, my boyfriend." Josie explains and her son surprises her when he gets a smile on his face.

"That's great, mum. I'm glad for you, I can't wait to meet him." Alex says and gives his mother a hug. Josie's gaze falls on Lou who sits in exactly the same position, with exactly the same expression on her face as five minutes ago.

"Loulou?" she asks in a soft voice. Lou looks up to her mum, her eyes suddenly filled with tears.

"No!" the little girl screams and jumps up. "You can't like him and you can't go out with him any more." Tears spill over her eyes while she screams at her mother who sits looking at her dumbfounded. With her fists balled, keeping her arms stiff and an angry, hurt expression on her face little Lou turns around and runs out of the room, up the stairs to her bedroom where she closes the door with a loud boom. After that the house is left in silence, Alex doesn't know what to say and Josie is too shocked by what just happened.