In Honor of Lebanon

Start from the beginning

Dean knew he had to make a move. It was either now, or wait until Christmas and trap the angel under some mistletoe.

And Dean didn't feel like waiting until Christmas.

But Dean also had no idea how to approach Cas. Should he just walk up and kiss him? Should he ask? 

He didn't really want to have some long, drawn out conversations about their feelings or whatever but if that's what it took to get Cas to kiss him, then Dean would work with it.

"Screw it." He told himself. He was just going to walk up and admit it. It would be stupid, it would completely confuse the angel, but Dean knew that any other method then walking up and saying 'Hey angel, I'm freaking in love with you' would cause him to lose his nerve and mess things up.

So he was just going to say it and hopefully get a kiss in return. 

Or completely destroy a friendship he'd had for the last ten years and make everything very very awkward.

50/50 chance, and frankly, Dean liked his odds.

"Hey Cas," He started casually. Cas looked up from the TV and smiled at him.

"Hello Dean," He replied. And Dean had barely opened his mouth when-

"DEAN! SAM!" 

Motherfucking son of a bitch, Chuckdammit you've gotta be fucking kidding me- what piece of shit asshole decided to- just son of a fucking bitch, REALLY?

REALLY?

NOW?

Someone had to interrupt him NOW?

"...I think Mary requires your presence," Cas offered, trying not to laugh at the utterly pissed off expression on Dean's face.

"Son of a bitch, this better be important," Dean muttered, leaving. Cas followed him out of curiosity.

And then both boys stopped dead at the sight of a living, breathing, human John Winchester.

Eyes widened.

"Is that-" Dean started.

"....I need to make a call." Cas declared, turning on his heels and fleeing the room because Dammit Naomi, WE HAD A DEAL.

"It's really him." Mary confirmed. Dean stared at his father, then at his Mom, then back.

".....I'm gonna go get Sam." He said awkwardly, backing away.

"Sam's alive?" John questioned. "But the demon blood-"

Right. That little gem. The memory of John's last words to the boys popped up in Dean's mind and his bitchface went up to the max.

"One thing first," Dean offered before winding up and slamming his fist into John's face.

"Dean!" Mary cried out as John stumbled back, clutching his face.

"Oh, he deserved that one." Dean declared. "I'll be right back."

He hesitated outside Sam's door. It was still Valentine's Day. It was always a rough holiday for Sam. Dean wasn't sure which one of his brother's love interests was the focus of Sam's sad thoughts today, but he'd have to pull Sam out of it for a little while because, well, John was alive, and that could be an issue. Gently, he knocked on the door.

"Sammy?" He asked. There was no response. He knocked again. "Can I come in?"

There was a sigh, but Sam opened the door, looking generally saddened.

"What is it?" He asked. It hurt Dean's heart to see his brother upset, but he knew this was the one day a year he couldn't help. He was just grateful Valentine's Day only came once a year. 

Dean paused, unsure of how best to break this. After all, how were supposed to tell your brother that your father, who treated you awful and once told you to leave and never come back, was now alive again.

"It's uh...." Dean made a face, deciding to go with the blunt version. "It's Dad." Sam's eyes had widened, and he followed his brother out.

*****

After a few more tests to make sure that yes, this was indeed John Winchester, the awkward family reunion ensued, and Sam and Dean caught John up to date, naturally leaving out a few details here and there because they didn't want John to murder them. (Like, it probably wasn't a good idea to tell him that Sam dated a demon, or that Dean was besties with the King of Hell) They introduced him to Cas and Jack, and explained how the hell Mary was alive.

It was late at night by the time they stopped, and John, Mary, Sam, and Jack surrendered for the day and went to bed.

Cas remained awake, flipping through one of the lore books on angels and smiling at the inaccuracies. 

"Hey," Dean offered, figuring he might as well try this again.

"Hello Dean," Cas replied, closing his book and looking up at the hunter, who was studying his face, unsure. "I got the impression you meant to tell me something earlier before we were interrupted."

"Uh, yeah," Dean admitted.

"What was it?"

"Well, I was thinking it would be better to show you," Dean offered. "Since I know I'd mess it up somehow if I used words."

"Judging by your track record of saying the wrong thing, I think I can agree to that." Cas smiled.

And so Dean took a deep breath and quickly leaned forward, kissing the angel, and then he shot back, slightly afraid of the reaction.

Cas blinked in surprise, but a slow smile spread across his face.

"Took you long enough," He commented. "Wait....You're not going to kill me now, are you?"

"What? No." Dean frowned.

"Sorry, it's just that the last time I got kissed, she stabbed me, so I had to check." Dean laughed.

"I promise I won't stab you."

"Good, then get back here. That was a very short kiss, and I would like another one, if you don't mind." 

So they kissed again, and Dean smiled.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Cas."

"Happy Valentine's Day, Dean."

They kept kissing, not even hearing the footsteps of another person until they stopped.

"WHAT THE FUCK," John Winchester yelled out.