Chapter 5 - Baking

~ Keith ~

"So, remind me why I'm helping you do this?"

Lance's head popped up from the other side of the counter. "I told you, Hunk made these gross cupcakes and then bet me that I couldn't make anything better and I said I could but Pidge won't help me and everyone else is busy so that only leaves you."

"Lance, I don't even know how to make toast."

"There's always a time to learn! Now, I think I've found what we need! Does this look like flour?"

"That looks like-"

"Eh, it's probably some kind of Altean flour. Do you think this is sugar?"

I sighed and slouched, resting my elbows on the counter. "Shouldn't we ask Coran or Allura? Don't you think that's a bit safer than just making guesses and-"

"You worry way too much, anyone ever tell you that?"

"No, I'm just the voice of common sense. And as the voice of common sense, I'm saying that this is a waste of time and-"

"What else are we supposed to do? We're not going to that swap thingy for another few days and you've just been brooding and sulking in your room."

"No, I haven't," I snapped.

"Yeah, suuuuure. Listen, you gotta stop being so uptight! Grab life by the horns!" He punched both fists in the air. "Yeah!"

"Or don't."

He kicked me in the shin and I yelped and grabbed it. "Ow! What the hell?!"

"That's what you get for being a joy kill!"

I grabbed a pan and thwacked him with it. "That's what you get for being an idiot!"

"Okay, okay, okay, calm down! I just think you should smile more often. Did you know that it only takes, like, 20 muscles or something to smile but around 40 something to frown?"

I rolled my eyes. "The correct figures are actually 26 and 62."

"Well, ex-cuse me for that. Come on, let's get started already! Get the butter!"

"You don't actually know if this is butter."

He stuck his nose in the air. "It's butter because I say it is!"

"That logic seems pretty flawed to me."

"Never mind with logic, now pass the sugar!"

"What looks like the sugar," I corrected.

He smacked me on the head with a spoon. "Quit your nit-picking."

"Ow! If you...if you...if you assault me with any of culinary one more time, I'm leaving!"

"Don't be such a baby," he said as he dumped the butter and sugar into a bowl.

"Me?! You're lecturing me?!"

"Were we supposed to measure this or not?"

"That's it, I'm done."

I opened the door but he threw his arms around my waist and clung to me. "No, don't go!"

"Get off!"

"Ke-ef, I don't know what I'm doing!"

"You're not even listening to me!"

"Don't leave, I need help!"

I huffed and folded my arms. "If you promise not to hit me again, I'll stay."