Chapter 4 - More Nightmares

~ Keith ~

I was lying flat somewhere in the darkness. A clock was ticking.

Slowly and softly.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Where was I? Where was everyone? I was all alone again. It was dark. It was quiet. All I had was this ticking noise.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

It was getting faster. And louder. I wanted it to stop.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock.

I got to my feet. I was running out of time, it was speeding up, it was telling me to hurry.

But hurry with what exactly?

Ticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktocktick...

It was gradually getting louder and louder. It was becoming overwhelming.

I took a step forward. I needed to get away, I had to get away from here. The heel of my shoe hit the ground and a bright, electric blue rippled through this strange watery black floor before it faded away. I took another step, creating another ripple. Another step. And another before I began sprinting through this darkness.

I was looking for something. I didn't know what it was but I was looking for something. And I needed to find it.

Ticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktock....

I needed to find it before it was too late. The clock was ticking.

I stopped.

In front of me, in this void of emptiness, there was a smashed hourglass.

I dropped onto my knees and with trembling hands, I scooped up the blue sand of the hourglass, letting it slip through my fingers and fall back onto the ground, some of the sharp, small pieces of glass slicing at the skin on my hands, making them bleed slightly.

Was this it?

Was this what I'd been looking for?

And I began to run because I was running out of time, I just knew I was running out of time, I needed to say something, there was something I needed to do but I couldn't. My voice wouldn't let me and it was too late, it was too late, I'd run out of time.

"This is your doing."

A voice I knew but only vaguely.

I turned around to see Zarkon's standing before me.

"Join me. You don't belong here. You belong with us."

"No, I don't!" I did my best to keep my voice strong but I couldn't stop it quivering. "I'm not like you!"

People were screaming, there were sirens roaring in my ears and that tick tick ticking was louder than ever.

I couldn't take it anymore.

I dropped onto my knees, tightly clamping my hands over my ears. I didn't want to be here anymore. I didn't want to see anything anymore. I didn't want to hear anything anymore. I didn't want to feel anything anymore. I didn't want to live anymore.