Chapter 1 - Ava

I wipe the sweat off my brow with the back of my sleeve and let out a long breath. It took me all afternoon, but I'm officially unpacked. My gaze shifts around, past the sea of cardboard and foam scattered across the hardwood floors, taking in the fresh new apartment with plain grey walls and sparse furniture. The reality of it all hits me, and I can't help but smile ear to ear. I almost want to pinch myself to check I'm not dreaming. After all, it's been a long time coming - but I'm finally living in the City.

The familiar ringtone of my mobile phone echoes in the distance, punctuating the silence while snapping me out of my reverie. After some searching, I discover the device sitting on the kitchen countertop. My eyebrows mash together as I notice the time. Whoa, it's nearly 9 pm! OK, so maybe unpacking took longer than I thought. Quickly scanning through the list of notifications, I read the first text message, which is from my Mum:

*Were safely home. I hope the rest of your unpacking goes well. Have a great first night living away from home. Love you pumpkin xo*

I roll my eyes at her cuteness, even though it feels like the hundredth time she's told she loves me today. As annoying as they are, my parents were such a huge help, driving the moving truck and helping me shift the larger items. Without them, I would have never been able to move. I quickly tap out a reply before checking the other messages, which turn out to be missed call notifications from my boyfriend, Kyal. I press the call button while navigating through the mess to the lounge room.

"Hey, babe," Kyal's boyish voice answers on the second ring as I sink into the plush sofa. My strained muscles sigh in relief, and a wave of relaxation immediately takes hold.

"Hey, sorry I missed your calls. I was unpacking and lost track of time."

"Hope you left some for me," he chuckles.

"You know me; I couldn't help myself." I'm not one to sit idly around; my parents raised me better than that. "Besides, mum helped quite a bit while Dad unboxed and set up your new TV." A yawn takes hold as the said television stares back at me. It's hard to miss as the 'thing' occupies most of the lounge room wall.

"You sound exhausted. I wish I could have been there today," Kyal is presumably feeling bad that my parents helped while he didn't. My fingers absentmindedly toy with the tag of one of the new cushions on the couch. My lips can't seem to form the words to assuage away his guilt.

"Me too. I miss you already." My mind wanders to the freshly made queen-sized bed, thinking of how we'll be sharing it soon. I so wish it was tonight. After all, I've been dreaming of moving out of our sad little country town with Kyal for such a long time. A good deal longer than I'd ever care to admit to him. But unfortunately, his job threw a spanner in the works when they wouldn't let him take leave or transfer offices until the end of the month. Kyal sighs heavily on the other end of the phone, almost as if he can read the direction of my thoughts.

"It's just a couple of weeks, Ava," he says, trying to soothe me, but the annoyance is thick in his tone.

"I know, but..." I hesitate, not wanting to cause a fight. To say I'm disappointed is the understatement of the year. It consumes the silence that lingers across our newly formed distance. The thing is, Kyal had wanted to keep his job, and he hadn't even considered looking elsewhere for employment even though the job market here is excellent. Even with no experience, I managed to snap up a waitress job at a local restaurant just by having a single phone interview. "Never mind," I huff out, being sulky will get me nowhere.

"Yeah, well, I'll be there soon enough," he grumbles. "Look, I got an early start, and you better get some rest. I'll call you tomorrow," I vaguely hear Kyal say. His abrupt goodbye breaks through the quiet of all my unspoken thoughts.

"Um, OK, babe. I love you," I murmur instead of uttering all the other things on my mind.

"Love you too," he mumbles before the line goes dead. I stare down at my mobile for a moment feeling a strange sense of hollowness unfurl in my chest. We've been together for two years, but this is our first day in a long-distance relationship. It feels weird already.

I catch myself pouting before gathering myself off the couch to begin searching for my handbag. In all my unpacking, I completely forgot to go grocery shopping, so there's nothing to eat in the apartment. I recall there were a few shops down the street; surely something would be open on a Friday night; I'm in a city after all, not a tiny country town anymore.

Venturing outside into the dreary weather with my trusty pink umbrella in hand, I bypass my car and squint through the sheeting rain to see the bright lights in front of the shops down the street. It looks hopeful, so I open my umbrella and dash through the drizzle.

The inside of the Deli is pitch black, and I frown at the disappointing closed sign. So much for a vibrant, bustling city, but then again, this is Perth, Western Australia, a far cry from Melbourne. I give a little huff before continuing down the row of shopfronts. Making my way past a hair salon and lunch bar, I see the sign of a Chinese restaurant. A sigh of relief escapes me as I notice the neon open sign on the restaurants' window. The door makes a chiming sound as I enter; the restaurant is warm and smells amazing. Unfortunately, the front counter is unattended, and I'm about to call out when I hear someone bustling in the kitchen.

"You're late, Trey! This restaurant isn't open only for you, you know!" An irate voice calls from the back. I stand awkwardly about ready to turn on my heels and retreat when a middle-aged man wades out from the kitchen carrying a bag of food.

The man's features change dramatically from an angry grimace to surprise as he spots me. "I'm sorry, Miss, I thought you were someone else. I close at 9 pm, but I only stayed open waiting for a late collection." The aroma of the delicious Chinese food he's clasping wafts over me. It smells divine. I stare dumbly, entranced by the bag he's holding, gradually taking in his words.

"Oh, so the kitchens closed then?" I ask, flicking my eyes up to the man while praying to the skies that he isn't really closing.

"Afraid so, Miss." My stomach sinks in despair, but I'm not going to give up that easily. My father's sagely words 'money talks' springs to mind as I pull a fifty-dollar note from my wallet, sliding it across the faux wood countertop.

"How about I take that bag off your hands, and then we can both go home happy..." The man purses his lips, considering my proposal as his eyes dart to the note. It only takes a moment before he smiles wide.

"Ok, deal," he agrees before I pass him the cash. "That'll show him," he mutters to himself while handing over the brown paper bag brimming with delicious smelling food. He surprises me, though, when he opens the cash register and gives me back a twenty dollar note. "Hope you come again," he says with an attempt at a wink. Thanking him, I take my leave while donning a smug grin.

It's not until I'm walking up the front steps of my apartment that I wonder what this mysterious man called Trey ordered. I'd been so desperate for food that I hadn't even considered the fact that the order could contain something disgusting like tripe or chicken feet. Shuddering at the thought, I let myself inside and place the bag of Chinese food on the coffee table. Peering curiously inside, my smile is triumphant as I pull out a bag of spring rolls, fried rice, some soup dumplings and satay beef. Whoever he is, this Trey has excellent taste. Yum, I couldn't have ordered better myself. I retrieve a plate and some cutlery before digging into the delicious food without a shred of sympathy for the man whose meal I stole.

~

Author's note: Howdy, I hope this chapter finds you well. Please enjoy the edit of Amiss and take care where ever you are. xo