Chapter 36: Once upon a time in the Kyrie Kingdom part 1

Start from the beginning

You could see the faces of joy that the citizens had while thanking us in the name of their relatives that we had saved or for one of our deeds.

Saying that I was just doing my duty as both a knight and the crown prince would be lie, for seeing my people happy brought happiness to me too.

__________________________________________________

Those festivals also gave us a chance to relax after a quest.

Although some of us relaxed a bit too much, like Kris, who was Kristoff back then.

If it is alright with everyone, I shall use those names for the story.

"Man, what a lively mood. It makes me want to get off the horse and hit the bar! Who's with me?!"

"You will do that when and only after we report to the King, Kristoff. Even then, you must pay Roxxargueraffe for the armor you just ruined. Seriously...breaking formation and launching yourself at the mutated manticore. What were you thinking?"

"Hey! Cut me some slack, lil' Eric! I did manage to cut that thing's head off! That's something, right?! If I pay, I might not have enough coin to get drunk! Prince! My friend! Please!"

"Haaa...Kristoff, that is the third armor you have ruined in just this month. Even if we are funded by the national budget, plus my own funds, there is a limit to how much armors made from top materials we can issue before it starts affecting the Order. Consider this a lesson in taking better care of your things, my friend."

"But...but...!"

"Think of it this way, no broken armor means more coin to chug away. See? Easy to understand even for you, right?"

"Who told you to butt-in, Gabriel?! Are you saying I'm stupid?"

"Oh Goddess, no, of course not, Kristoff. What gave you that idea? Ohohoho!"

"Stop it with that creepy laugh!!! You!! Forgettable-looking sucker!!!"

"That's funny coming from a muscle headed drunk!!!"

"Those two...they rarely act composed with one another, right, Prince Erevain?"

"Leave them be, Eric. That is how they have always been since our days in the academy. You should know that well."

"Indeed, I suppose some things just do not change."

"And sometimes, Eric, things are fine like that."

Yes...that was the kind of back and forth they always had, for better or for worse.

Even from the beginning.

I have known Kristoff and Gabriel since our time in the Royal Academy. And while I do not remember well who started it, I first met them as they were fighting each other.

That time I tried to stop them as it was the very first day of the course, but it ended up turning into a three way fight soon after Kristoff...punched me in the face.

I am ashamed to say this but...I could not hold back after that.

After some time, the guards tried to intervene too, but my parents stopped them as they were impressed with the two seemingly unknown young men who were not only able to keep up with me, but also put pressure on me in a fight.

The fight lasted a couple of hours, with the three of us refusing to give in despite the state in which we were.

Heh...we became friends, comrades, and rivals shortly after that.

But there was someone else there, someone who had tried to join and aid me but was unable to.

Eric.