behind the curtains

"It was late fall in my senior year of high school. I was driving myself to school at this point, and usually left around 7:15 a.m. to start the 20 min. drive. My parent's house is a split level, and I was putting my shoes on at the landing in between the two levels. My mother and father were already gone to work so I was home alone. I grabbed my coat and went downstairs to go out the back door. (I feel I need to mention the house is on a large lot with a lake and dense woods, adding to the spook factor. It was also still pretty dark this early in the morning).

As I'm putting my coat on and getting ready to step out into the early morning fog, I hear heavy footsteps on the stairs, headed up to the top floor. The house has hardwood floors, so you can hear every single step and shuffle. My first thought was "Oh, my dad must have left his phone at home or something." I walk back over to the stairs and yell up some sort of smart-ass remark about him always forgetting something. I wait for an answer. I yell up again, "Dad?" I wait again, and when I'm met with silence I make a swift turn and double-time it to the back door. As I reach for the handle I pause and hear RAPID footsteps following my escape route pattern on the first floor, through the kitchen and into the dining room, stopping at the upstairs back door, RIGHT above me. Now when I say rapid, I mean crazy, crazy fast. That inhuman kind of speed that gives you chills in all the scary movies.

I yanked open the sliding door, quickly stumbled out, and slammed the door shut behind me. I ran to my car as quickly as I could, back it up to turn around in the driveway, and face the kitchen window. I stare for just a second or two, and notice one side of the curtains pulled back just a little. I get a new wave of chills just as I see them thrown back down. Needless to say I got the hell out of there. I've never been so scared in my life. I did end up calling my dad. He went home and checked the house; nothing was amiss, no one in the house, all the doors locked and secured, so in a nut shell, totally unexplained occurrence.