93. World At Their Feet

Start from the beginning

****

Expecting to come back to an empty house, Audrey slowly climbed the stairs.

Her mind rewinded all the events of the day, all the worries she had about the future, and all the things that scared her could be harmful.

She missed having peace of mind in moments of solitude.

Her phone buzzed on the way from a call from Vanessa. Before she could pick up, it stopped.

She didn't think much of it and went back to her thoughts.

As she unlocked the door, she received a message from Vanessa.

V : Comr hrer hdk.   Hejkbe

She raised her eyebrows questionably. Again dismissing the message as an accident, Audrey went straight to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of wine and loosen her muscles and mind.

Minutes passed in absolute silence.

She took a breath in, feeling at home.

Her hand reached for her phone and dialled a number off of her memory.

"Hello?" A sleepy voice whispered.

"You're late. Again."

"Huh?"

"Your class began five minutes ago, Mason. Wake up."

There was a pause on the other side before some shuffling sounds and then a string of curses.

Audrey laughed as Mason hurriedly tried to make himself presentable.

When he still hasn't gotten back to his phone and his voice could he heard from afar, Audrey suddenly turned silent.

She hung up, knowing he won't have the time to talk to her.

She wanted to talk to him, maybe to anyone but he was the first who came to mind. His words have comforted her and helped her to reexamine her own thoughts.

But he also had a life of his own.

The reality of her singularity became known to her.

Just as thoughts of loneliness started to build up, her phone rang. This time from Jeff.

She cleared her throat and picked up. "Yes, Jeff."

****

Audrey and Jeff reached the hotel they had dropped Vanessa at in a hurry.

Audrey saw the police cars outside but no media. "Thank God they're not here yet."

"Yet." Jeff emphasized as they got off the car and hurried towards the 23rd floor.

Vanessa was sitting amongst two female cops as they talked to her.

"Vanessa." Audrey rushed to her. "I'm sorry I didn't call you back."

Vanessa stood up and hugged her sister tight. "I was so scared." She mumbled.

"Are you alright?"

Vanessa shook her head.

"You will be." Audrey rubbed her back.

"What happened?" Jeff asked the cops.

"Miss Pierce called the police from the bathroom after Sebastian supposedly tried to sexually harrass her. We've taken him into custody and will look into the matter."

Audrey's heart sped up after hearing the words. "Did he.. di-"

"He groped me. I tried to call you but he took my phone away." Vanessa lowly explained.