Chapter 18

I tapped impatiently on the cafe table whilst my mind went over what I could get Jimin for his birthday.

Then there was the whole moral thing about actually getting him a present...

Technically, since I do know now, I should get him one, right?

But that wasn't what was on the back of my mind. It was the fact Jimin had gone to bed without getting a call from... someone.

Nah, Eunsoo probably texted him a wish.

"What are you thinking about?," Namjoon said, sitting in front of me.

"Nothing."

"Still not sure about being friends with me?," he smiled softly.

"I'm still thinking about it," I didn't lie.

I couldn't take any risks with Jimin, but Namjoon seemed like a guy I could trust with my life and would probably get it back better than when I handed it over to him.

"You think a lot," he said, meaningfully.

Ya got that right.

"I just wanted to have a familiar face around here. All of my friends have already graduated, you see."

My heart felt for him. I understood his pain although I wasn't even held back from school.

"Alright, this in no way means that I've agreed... but can you help me get Jimin a present?"

And his eyes lit up like stars. "You know it's his birthday? That's unlike him to talk about his birthday."

"No, his mother told me. But the problem is I don't know what to buy. What do you get a guy who has everything?"

And his eyes softened.

"Do you think Jimin has everything?"

"Doesn't he?"

And he just smiled.

"Well, you live with him. You should know what he needs," he said, as if giving me a clue.

And my mind revved up like an old engine.

And then it clicked. "I got it!"

I skipped the rest of the lectures after giving the test and headed back... home.

"Minji, you're home early," Jimin's mother exclaimed.

"Didn't you ask me to come early?," I smiled. "What are you planning? A surprise party?"

And her face fell at that.

"No. Jimin doesn't like that."

I frowned and thought back at the time I was in Jeju with him.

Always hoping for affection and never getting any got him so cold that now, even if anyone tries, he doesn't let them show their love for him.

But that didn't mean he didn't want them to. He just wanted them to do it despite what he says.

"Ommoni, let's make sea weed soup."

I didn't know whether it was the fact I called her ommoni or the sudden change in my tact that made her look at me with those... emotional eyes, but she did.

"We've tried that year after year. He would taste it, ask who made it and then discard the soup. I even changed cooks for him," she explained.