Chapter 16: Do You Believe They're Just Monsters?

You and the boys walked along the forest when you guys heard some walkers. You three go hide behind a tree as you see a small group of walkers. You pull out your sword and Clem pulls out his knife as you guys sneak up to a knocked down tree. "I don't see James. Just monsters." AJ said as you watch the walkers hobble along.

Then you guys heard footsteps behind you. All of you turn and see it was James. "James!" You said as he raised his finger to his lips for a moment then lowers it as he places hand on his left arm, where you see some blood on his sleeve. "You're hurt." AJ said and James nods then he kneels down.

"Did the raiders do this?" Clem asked as he gestures to a cart some feet in front of you guys. "It looked like they....had people from your school. Why are you here?" James asked.
"Those people you saw, we're going to save them. But to do that we need your help moving some walkers." You replied and James looks over at his camp then back to you two.

"I could....maybe help, but...my mask is still in the camp. Inside my bag. I can't pass through a herd without it." James replied. "Okay. Then let's go get it." Clem said. "Please, I just....I just ask that you don't kill them. The walkers. If you guys distract them, I can sneak over and find my mask." James begged. "Distract all of them?" AJ asked, confused. "Please." James begged again. You and Clem look at each other and you shrug at Clem. "We--We-ll try." Clem said as he looks over at James while you sheathed you sword. 

James starts to sneak his way over to the camp while you, Clem and AJ just distract the walkers as best as you guys could by just kicking them in the knees. "I don't know how long we can keep this up." Clem said to James as he walks over to him. "Did you find your mask?" He asked as James looks through his bag. "I can't find it. The horses must've...." James mutters as he stands up and turns to see his bag was next to a tree a few feet away. "There!" He said and Clem turns to see it. "Shit." He mutters.

"We have to run--"

"Hey! Over here!" You exclaimed as AJ throws some rocks at the walkers. "(Y/N)! AJ!" Clem said, scared, as you and AJ jump behind a large tree trunk. "No. There are too many of them...." James said as he places his hand on Clem's shoulder, stopping him from running to you guys. 

Clem looks over at the cart and points at it. "The cart! If we push it the noises will draw them away." He said and him and James runs over to the cart, and start to push it until it careens down a hill and hits a tree. Clem and James hides behind a giant boulder as some walkers go over to the crashed cart.

You and AJ run over to see James and Clem coming your way. Clem runs over to you and pulls you into a hug. "You're okay!" He whispers to you. "Of course!" You said as you pull away from the hug. Clem kneels down to AJ and said. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. No bites." AJ said as Clem inspects him. "I know it would've been easier to kill them. Both of you are kind. I appreciate it. Really." James said as he goes over to his bag and pulls out his bag and a picture. "Thank you. For helping me get this back." He said as he holds up his mask.

Then he starts to dust himself off. "Now. How will walkers save your friends?" He asked. "They're being held captive on a boat not too far from here. We can't sneak on board without cover, not without the raiders gunning us down." You replied. "You want to use walkers to hide....to sneak on board their ship? That's insane." James said. "It's our only chance." Clem said to him. 

"I have something I need you two to see. So both of you can understand what you're asking." He said. "James!" You and Clem exclaimed, exasperated, as James walks away. "We still need his help, right?" AJ asked. "Yeah. We do." You said and you guys follow James.

"It's safe." James said after he distracted a walker. Then you guys begin to walk again. "Just a little further." James said as he leads you guys to an abandoned barn. James goes up to the door while Clem looks around the barn and found a toy. He picks it up and smiles. "Beet-Nick." He mutters as he pockets it while you see AJ looking at a familiar block.