Chapter 1: Done Running

When the dead started walking...I was small and alone.

Until a man named Lee became my protector.

Lee protected other people too, but he couldn't save everyone. You can never save everyone.

The living were just as dangerous as the dead. A woman in our group named Lily lost her dad and then she just couldn't cope.

She took the life that Lee saved, the life of a mother to a young girl named (y/n), who became my best friend.

Lee left Lily on the side of the road and became (y/n)'s protector as well.

Lee taught (y/n) and I how to survive, he protected us as long as he could. But he got bit.....because of me. And even in the end he was still teaching.

Keep that hair short just not worth the risk.

Lee wouldn't make it, he knew it was the end. He made one final request. He asked one of us to shoot him....and I did.

(y/n) and I met another group after that, broken people running from their past. There was a woman who gave birth to a boy named Alvin Jr. AJ. He made it, but the mom didn't.

And (y/n) and I started to take care of him.

But then Jane left AJ in the snow. We thought he was gone forever. That was the last straw for Kenny and without Lee around....I had to make the call. 

But I couldn't. And Kenny killed Jane.

It turned out AJ was alive! Jane hid him to make a point. Knowing what they'd done, we still decided we were better together for AJ's sake.

But like everything else, it wouldn't last.

AJ, (y/n) and I travel to the New Frontier. I thought we found something that worked but I was wrong again.

They took AJ from us, said (y/n) and I were too young to take care of him. We thought maybe they were right. We said our goodbyes.

(y/n) and I regretted it later.

We searched for a long time, just when we gave up hope...we found him. We're searching together now for a place we can call home.

(Y/N) and I are all AJ has.

(Y/N) and AJ are all I have.

And I'll protect them with my life.

Just like Lee did for me and (y/n).

A red car, with white stripes, roars down the road, passing a crawling walker. Clement, who was driving, watches the road as the car screams down the empty road. He glances over to you to see your head leaning against the window, your eyes closed. He smirks just as he hears a sound in the backseat.

He adjusts the rear view mirror to see AJ sitting in the back, looking bored, as he flicks the cylinder of the gun, continuously. Your face slightly twitches as you could hear the noise AJ was making. "Whatcha doing there, goofball?" Clem asked the young boy. "Pretending we got bullets." AJ replied.

"Well, don't. It's getting on my nerves. And you'll wake up, (y/n)." Clem said. "Too late." You grumble as you wake up and stretch out your arms then sit up. 

AJ stops spinning the cylinder and said. "I don't like goofball. I'm too big for it." You and Clem glance at each other before you say. "Awww, we've always called you goofball."