Osckar

My eyes fluttered as I rolled over in bed, snuggling into the warm crisp sheets. I breathed in deeply inhaling the freshly washed vanilla-scented bedding. I know I should be getting up soon but I was way too comfortable to get up, school could wait until later. I frowned, shouldn't my alarm go off already? Where was my normal morning greeting by my mom opening up the curtains and humming her favourite tune?

I bolted upright in the bed, my body rigid as I took in the unfamiliar room and smells. The walls were a navy blue not my usual cream colour, the bed was larger, plumper and the dressing table... Everything came flooding back like a tsunami, flashes of my dead parents, being attacked by rogues then transported into a pack jail. Then finally the soothing memory of meeting my mate. Just the thought of him had my heart racing in joy, I never thought I would feel such joy so soon or even at all.

I flipped the covers and stood on shaky legs, it had been a while since I was in my human form, I stretched my tight muscles enjoying feeling them unwind and loosen. It appeared that my leg had healed nicely, I flexed it testing out the movement, when I felt no pain I relaxed. Then my hands shot to my ribs remembering the pain that burned there, but now I felt nothing as if it were all but a bad dream.

Underneath my hands was a black shirt, panic and embarrassment squeezed at my chest. Who changed me? I'd die of embarrassment if a male had seen me doctor or not.

I slumped back down on the bed as I realised that this is where life had led me and let the first true tears fall. I'd had no time to cry, to let it all out before I'd fled. In no time I was sobbing hard, clutching my pillow for comfort, feeling the pain of loss rip through me and pour out. The loss was hard enough but then I began to think of all the things I'd been looking forward to experiencing with them. They would never get to be at my graduation or any important events where parents get to boast their pride for their child. I cried for the experiences I had with them and the ones they would miss in my life. I would be sure to keep them alive in my memory, as long as I had that, they're not truly gone from the world.

Above my sobbing I heard the door open and with that came the delicious scent of my mate. I stopped for a moment, holding my breath, waiting for him to take the first step in. When he did I released my breath but held in the sound of my sobs and allowed my tears to fall.

The bed dipped and he slid in behind me pulling me close to him, I should be outraged but I was too far gone to care. I knew he was wearing a short-sleeved shirt as his bare arms tightened around my torso as my back pressed against him. He was providing me with the comfort I needed right now and I did feel a lot better. Not as lonely as before.

We just lay there for a while until my sobs completely stopped. I could feel each breath on my neck, every heartbeat and every soothing stroke on my arm.

"What's your name?" he whispered into my ear when there was just silence and calm in the air.

"Calla," I replied, my voice hoarse from the crying.

"Nice to meet you, Calla, I'm Osckar."

I attempted to roll over and face him but he held me tight so I was unable to move.

"Why were you crying?" he asked, his voice tender. "Do your ribs still hurt, the doctor said they might."

I shook my head. "It's not my ribs."

"Then what? I can't make it go away if I don't know what it is." His face dipped into my hair and I shivered as he inhaled.

"My parents were murdered." I choked out.

His grip tightened around me in a protective embrace and he venomously said, "I will find out who did it and kill them for it."

I wish I could say I protested a little but whoever killed my parents deserved whatever fate brought to them. I would not hold Osckar back as he acted out his vow.