Fear

An overwhelming surge of panic filled my body at Florence's bone chilling words. The fight that my father and his father before that had avoided was knocking on my doorstep. I could only hope that this was the time it would finally end. No it would certainly end today. In death.

A low growl slipped out of Osckar's lips, his nose flared and the hairs on his arm stood. The grip he had on my hand tightened and I felt him tug me closer to him until my back was flush against his chest.

"How do you know that?" I breathed out my eyes wide as I stared at Florence.

Florence moved to me, tipping the bowl so I could see the contents. In it, there were smudges of green herbs and in the centre a red line with a pointed tip was drawn facing towards me.

"This red line here means they're on their way. And they won't be long." Her voice was laced with excitement and her eyes shone as she looked at me. To her this was all a game, another plot she'd make only to survive another day.

I suppose it was a game, she'd been one of the few out to protect my bloodline and through the years of cat and mouse this was the first time she'd come close to a real battle. A chance to kill off the Witches of Old.

"I'll prepare the pack." Osckar said before he placed a lingering kiss on my head and walked out.

"We need to get this spell in place." Cordelia said coming to my side, a knife in her hand. "Give me your right hand."

I obeyed by lifting my hand to her, she quickly sliced my palm with the knife, I winced but didn't pull away as she flipped my hand over the dark jar. The blood dripped into the jar, the thick liquid eventually slowed down as I began to heal.

"What's this for?"

"It's the drink that'll revive you once Osckar kills you." Cordelia said casually as if this was an everyday occurrence.

My heart raced and stomach rolled at the thought of drinking a vile of blood, magical or not. I'd suck it up though, this was the only thing that would save my life. I didn't have time to think about how in just a few minutes or hours Osckar would be there to kill me. To think about how the person who's sworn to me would be able to do such a thing because of a spell. Because of a deal gone bad.

"How do you kill a witch?" I suddenly asked, looking Cordelia straight in the eye.

Her eyes tightened and her jaw clenched, the room had gone still, almost like all the air was being sucked out of it. I didn't dare lose eye contact. I thought killing a witch wouldn't be easy, they've lived for so long and surely all those tales about the vicious witches must have some truth to it. Maybe their skin was too thick for my teeth to shred through them, maybe their entrails hanging out wouldn't even do the trick.

Cordelia released a breath, finally saying, "You have to behead them. It's not an easy task with the magic we can wield nor is our skin so vulnerable."

She reached into a brown leather bag that had been propped up by the table. A short-curved blade glistening against the light in the room as she pulled it out.

"This is called a scythe, though unlike the ones used today, it's got a shorter handle so the wielder has to be strong enough to use it. Two blades were forged centuries ago back when dragons still existed. The blades were forged by the Elder Witches, they saw it necessary that we had a weapon of destruction to match the ruthlessness of our nature."

I raised my eyebrows. Dragons? Really? Then again here I am.

"Only a witch can use the blade, for it is laced with magic and power that none but us understand. One blade went to the Witches of Old and this is ours, it was done to forge peace between the two covens. We'd been enemies for as long as our mothers could remember. The blades being gifted to us both were meant to be in good faith. That only lasted for a decade."

"So, you're going to kill the head witch?" I asked, hoping that her answer would be what I needed to hear.

Cordelia smiled, "Yes, that is exactly what I'm going to do, as for the rest of them we'll see how well they fare against your wolves."

"Will we be strong enough to take them down? You said your skin isn't as vulnerable."

"For as long as you're alive, the pack is protected by your magic they will be just as strong. I'm going to give you a spell, much like the one the witches gave Osckar to make his pack what they are today."

"And once I'm dead they're left vulnerable." I said, not liking that fact one bit. There were women and children here, the sick, they would not be able to defend themselves against such a formidable force.

Cordelia nodded grimly. "I'm afraid so but I hope to kill Elvira before you die, once that is done the others are no longer bound to her and will be bound to serve me, it works much like your packs."

I let out a shaky breath. This was it.

"Let's say the spell to protect the pack," I conceded, this was better than no plan at all.

"Stand over there." Cordelia said, pointing to the centre of the room.

I did as she said.

The other witches stood around me in a circle while Cordelia picked up the string and wove it in between each person while murmuring under her breath before she took her place.

"Repeat after me." She said so I did.

"By blood I call to thee, bind my kin and air to thee, for our skin is strong, swift and silent, until death should we remain one."

The witches let out an eerie wail sending slivers of ice down my back.

Cordelia dropped the string, "It is done, all that is left is for you to drink this."

She handed me the dark jar, I opened it slowly, looking at it with disdain, I was about to drink my own blood and who knows what else. Sucking up the courage I brought the jar to my lips and swigged the contents down. It tasted sweet like apple juice, freshly pressed.

"I put some flavouring in there for your benefit." Florence said smiling.

"Thanks." I muttered.

There's been some activity around the border, Osckar's voice broke through my mind, they're here and I hope you're ready, I've briefed everyone and warned them against stopping me from killing you but instincts come first and there may be casualties.

What about those who aren't fighting?

Safe. Florence put a proactive spell but if the witches wanted to they might be able to get to them.

Was this a good idea bringing everyone into this? I asked.

No, but we've got no choice now.

Our conversation was cut short when a long low howl was let out, filling the air with trepidation.

"They're here."