The book

I lay on my stomach, a plate of food by my side as I read the book that was now propped up on the pillows in front of me. Osckar had left just a few minutes ago to make sure things were running smoothly and to calm the pack. Apparently, after I'd stormed off Osckar threw a tantrum, he prowled around the pack homes snarling and snapping at anything that passed his way. What made it worse was that the news of Osckar killing my parents spread like wildfire. Marie was so distraught after hearing that I'd been part of the reason her son didn't return. I couldn't completely say I was sorry, of course, a part of me felt guilty for killing him but what I did was to protect my parents and myself. I didn't owe anybody an apology, if anything Osckar should be the one groveling right now.

The passing thoughts of pack members increased as they voiced their concerns through the mind link. It was like I was in a crowded room and everyone was shouting at me. The pack was divided and unsurprisingly so, some sided with Osckar, their loyalty weighing in despite his wrongdoings. Some despised me, the knowledge that I was the one who killed some of their loved ones was a betrayal. I coughed up a laugh, thinking they should all get in line. If anything Osckar was to blame for this whole situation. If he'd come clean this could have been dealt with in a different way.

Blocking the outraged members I cleared my throat running my hands gently over the page before turning it, I stopped. It was my family tree, and there I was, my name pencilled in at the bottom in my father's handwriting. At the top of the tree was my great great grandmother, the witch who mated with a werewolf. Her name Cordelia Wells, a Witch of the North, mated to a beta werewolf from the Lycian pack; his name was James.

I gasped, what were the chances that I came across a potential family member even if he was a distant relative, one that helped me during the trials. This couldn't all just be a coincidence. Maybe my father was right, I wasn't completely alone in all of this. Did he know? I had a sudden urge to find out how close I was related to him. My family line wasn't left to just me.

Going down the family tree I noticed a trend, in each generation there was only one child, no more than that. All of them are men until me, the first girl to be born of this bloodline. I wasn't sure if it was a game-changer but I just knew it was something important to consider. Would that be my fate, only to have a child then part with it through an early death? The only one that was fortunate enough to live longer was my grandfather, he was smart, he managed to stay alive and die of natural causes. He wasn't hunted down and killed, he found a safe pack, and well it was safe until they found us. My father and mother's names were also penciled in and his date of birth had been scribbled in but next to it was a blank space for the date of death.

I choked back a sob as I reached into my backpack for a pencil and came back to the book. I scrawled in the date of death for both of them, a tear dropping onto the page. I sniffed and wiped it away. When I could finally compose myself again I continued to read.

According to what's been written in the first few entries, the Witches of Old have had a never-ending grudge against the Witches of the North. It didn't state why and I guess I'll never know. But the moment Cordelia and James' union created a hybrid child they went on the run. They claimed it was a ruling against nature and no child should bear the properties of a werewolf and the magic of Witch. So they made it their mission to destroy the bloodline of werewolves and witches no matter what the cost may be.

"Maybe you should take a break from all that reading." I jumped at the sound of Osckar's voice, I hadn't heard him coming.

I shook my head turning to face him, he was standing by the door frame "No, I've got to keep reading."

He sighed and I felt the bed dip.

"This is not healthy, you've been here all evening and you need a break."