What happened to you? A story of an abusee Ch9

Chapter Something, Oh wait, Nine..  

Last chapter was far too peppy! Here's some nice drama for you all <3  

~~~~

"Ariel?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her as she walked slowly into the room. She had a thoughtful, and slightly sad expression on her face, and I bit my lip. She met my eyes, frowning a little.

"Toby?" She asked, in a funny voice. I looked at her questioningly as she slipped her small hand under my elbow and directed me to her bed. I perched on the edge beside her, confused. Only moments ago we'd been chatting easily - such a weight had been lifted, and only hours later, in the comfort of Ari's bedroom, had it really sunk in. With Jonah incarcerated I would no longer be beaten, would no longer be abused.  

Ariel had, of course, grilled me for details as we made up the twin bed in her large room; She had wanted to know who Luc was, where we'd met, why I hadn't told her about him... I told her the complete truth, how I had been unaware of any kind of relationship. I detailed all that had happened in the last two days with male encounters - but I left out the small fact about Carter. Ariel seemed to guess the empty space in my words, for her frown told me she knew I was missing something out. She ran out of questions pretty soon though - I barely knew the guy myself!

Ariel had left the room to get pillows for my bed, and I was left with my thoughts on the matter; Luc and Carter both kissed me, both seemed to like me, and... I liked them both too. But did I like them in that way?  

Carter I knew to be a great friend, and an amazing guy, but, with that in mind, how could we be anything more? Not even considering the fact that the whole idea of any relationship filled me with dread - my mom had entered a relationship shortly before I started high school. Now she was missing and her daughter was, well, me. It was hard to think of anyone liking me, also.

Deep down, I didn't believe it. There was no way anyone could like me, let alone two guys at once. I was a battered cast-off, pretty much whore-on-the-street level after my years with Jonah - how could it be possible that someone like Carter would like me? We were so different; He an heir of a wealthy family, with a prospering career and dreams, whereas I was just a girl on the wrong side of the tracks, who was not pretty or rich or cared for. I swallowed. It was a harsh truth, but it rang true in my heart.  

Love wasn't real anymore.

I glanced around at the plush carpet, the wide windows, the large room - this grand house was no place for someone like me. I stared at my toes, suddenly feeling like my feet were leaving black smudges on the fine rug even though I'd only just had a shower.

And then Ariel had walked in, with that distant look on her face.

"Toby, you know earlier, and that Luc guy kissed you." She said, saying her words slowly, as if choosing them carefully.

"Yeah?" I nodded at her words. Of course I knew! What could she be trying to say with such reluctance, and a pout on her face?

"I was just talking to Carter, see..." Ariel began, and I looked at my hands folded on my lap, refusing to meet her eye, "And he told me about, um, the other kiss."  

I inhaled sharply, refusing to meet her eye.

"Tobes, what's going on?" She asked, poking me lightly on the arm. "Do you like Carter or Luc?"  

I was silent for a moment, my eyes so low I was barely peeking through my eyelashes. I felt her shift on the bed - impatience. She clasped and unclasped her fingers by my side - anxiety. Her expression from the corner of my eye was inquisitive - curiosity.